Front Hub Go Bye Bye - is it Common?

Evan

I was hunting this past week (awesome trip, 2 moose and 7 deer in camp when Dad and i left today :takebow: ). Went chicken hunting with a couple of the other guys in their Bombardier Itlis (canadian military jeep looking thing) and they got it burried. I walked back to camp, got the pathfinder, and went to pull them out.

Hooked up the strap to my front Shackle, 4 low, reverse, a good tug or two and then hear the front hub exploding. Get out, take a look and there are chunks of the hub missing, and it is cracked all the way around. The PO has a Warn Premium on the other side, but the Passenger side is some other brand.

What I'd like to know is if this is a common thing. I have several replacements at home already, so I'm not worried about getting a replacement, but does this happen to people on a regular basis, and can I get something better than the Warn hubs?

I have an 87 pathy with manual hubs, 3.0L engine, Manual Tranny, Stock front diff, Rear LSD (stock diff), and I'm running 33x12.5x15 SuperSwamper TSL's. I probably should have hooked up using my rear shackle (so that I was pulling forward, rather than reverse). Any thoughts or discussion?

yes there seems to be a bit of talk on aftermarket hubs letting go. a friend with a 60 series cruiser had an aftermarket set completely destroy themselves first time he used em.

nissan genuine manual hubs are very strong, havent heard of them breaking

Hubs come and hubs go.. you will probably hear both sides for factory and aftermarket. :shrug:

Any idea what brand it was? I know your not worried about it, but depending on the brand you may be able to get it replaced for free ;)

Some of us even consider this a good thing, within reason. There will always be a weak link in any system, and I'd prefer to have the hub explode rather than a CV joint or differential.... Kinda like a shear pin on an outboard boat motor. Carrying a spare and replacing a hub on the trail is a lot easier than a pinion gear! So the ideal hub is one that is just slightly weaker than the CV and diff...

I'm running MileMarkers for now. I have heard of them breaking, so I know they're not "too strong", and I haven't broken one yet, so I'm calling them strong enough for my application.

I am pretty sure the Warns are stronger, but I personally do not know if they are "too strong" and would hold together while more critical items blow. Others?

Ive heard that Warns for nissans suck, MM and superwinch are the best

I have Superwinch on my Yota and based on those, when I convert to manuals on the Nissan I plan on going with the "correct" Superwinch hubs.

From personal experience I can say that Superwinch stands behind the hubs the make. Had one fail to engage once and they replaced both, no questions asked. They even called a local (semi local, in Edgewood) NAPA who had mine in stock and approved an exchange. Normally you would send them in.

Thanks for all the replies. Like I said, once I figure out what the previous owner gave me, I might switch out my warn when I replace the broken one as well. I agree though, if something has to break, I'd prefer it to be the hub, and not the CV or the gears inside the Diff.

I just thought I'd check to see if it is an uncommon thing, but from the responses so far, I'd say not.

Cheers,

Evan.