Replacing Speedo Cable? HELP!

stikky_p

Hey guys.. first off both problem are on my 1987 pathfinder 4x4 manual

#1, my speedo wont work due to the needle that goes in to the back of the gauges is broke. i have a parts automatic nissan. my other is a 4x4. first off how easy is it to do the speedo cable myself?? and how do i do it. i've been looking everywhere for a post with it but nothing..

#2 the only gauges im getting is volt meter and the gauge for fuel that says 0 - 1/4 tank.. the actual gas gauge wont work. none of the other lights including my night lights will work. but the tach does. can anyone help me. and yes.. the dimmer switch is turned up all the way...

Never delt with a speedo cable on one of our trucks yet myself. It should have some sort of retainer in the dash, and maybe another on the firewall. As far as interchange, it should be the same (man vs auto). As for the guages, IIRC there is a voltage regulator for the cluster on the back of the housing somewhere, a little black or silver box, that could be your problem.

I busted mine at the firewall during the engine swap and af far as I can tell it's should not be to hard of a swap. Manual and Auto should be the same.

A retainer of some sort (clip I think) under the dash at the pedal and two bolts at the firewall (inside the engine compartment) and you should be able to pull it out from the engine bay.

I was abel to "fix" mine, so even though I have the replacement for it, it remains one of the last things on my mind :shrug:

yea u can get to it somehow thru the firewall...im in the middle of making the mechanical gauge work with the electrical stuff and i know theres a black sleve that the cable passes thru once its in the firewall...follow the cable up past the manifolds behind the engine (mines orange) and see if u can tell where it goes thru the firewall and u might be able to remove some sort of retaining plate there to back it out...

i have extra gauges out of an 87 with everything except the speedo and the cable but if u think it is the actual gauges i have a tach, fuel, and speedo as well as the circuit that goes on the back of the gauge cluster...did u check the gauges fuse?

wow, I talked about it but failed to connect the fact that I removed the replaement that I have from the wrecking yard Pathy... :lol:

It's simple, just get the replacement and swap it out. Nothing to it.

where might the fuse for the gauges be.. i looked in the can but no go... im going to try and fix it tonight. dont know how it will go.. but we'll see haha..the cable is only a $100 fix at nissan so if it pisses me off ill just go there... but still need the lights fixed.

ok the speedo is now fixed.. thanks for the help guys.. but i still cant figure out the lighting. there isnt a fuse in the cab fuse box that says meter or gauges. i looked under the hood and by the battery its just relays for fuel pump and stuff.. where the heck is the fuse darnitt.. haha.

Sorry this is late about the speedo cable. But if you are talking about this plastic piece (picture) that connects the cable to the back of the speedometer, mine cracked a couple years ago. You can see the crack in the photo if you look closely. Well, I pushed the cracked piece together with my fingers and took a hot sewing needle and melted the crack together. Put it back in, and it has now lasted 2 or 3 years with no problem. The Nissan dealer would only sell the whole cable instead of this little plastic piece. Screw that.

post-9-1160371836.jpg