O/D Off light...

SaKaNa

So every once in a while, when I start my 97 after its been off for a few hours (overnight, at work, etc), the OD off light likes to flash like 15 times when I start my engine... WTF is going on? OD light flashes, no speedometer, this things killing me!

Ah ha, I figured the two are connected somehow. How hard is it for me to do a VSS and where can I get one for like... not $500000? I NEED my pathy every day to get to work and school, so I cant take @!*% apart and have it out of commission for like three days, so if its THAT complicated, how much will most places charge to fix it?

Good thread here people. I too have a problem with my VSS. Occasionally my speedometer will not register until I hit a bump then it will jump up and catch up to speed. Then like once a week or once a month my OD light will flash like 15 times. I have heard the VSS is expensive so I can not do anything about it right now.

IF the speedo itself is failing it will do the same thing. The VSS signal goes through the speed then to the ecm. I would pull out the VSS, hook up a voltmeter, adn check the signal. Or swap with someone how has a good one. Dont want to buy 2 expensive parts do we?

IF you buy it new, some places wont let you return it if its opened and used. Double check thier return policy!

Also, double check your brake switch and make sure its working correctly.

Here is a nissan tip...

Service Information: Many of the Nissan and Infiniti ASCD (Cruise Control) systems power the ASCD actuator through the brake or clutch switch. Any symptom that seems to be caused by the actuator may have the brake or clutch switch as the issue. Such symptoms could be the ASCD not engaging, causing the ASCD light to flash, or storing a low voltage code.

Refer to the appropriate Service Manual section to determine if the actuator power is routed through either of these switches. If it is, check the switch first.

Source: Craig Belle, Nissan North America