Rust

96SE

So the chrome bumpers are rusting out (large holes and splits in rear sides and front corner pieces) and the body work is starting to bubble (where the roof meets the windshield, and the panels above the front wheels (quarter, rocker what is this called anyway? :huh: ). I want to do something about this before winter rolls in (winter in Ottawa = salt).

What have you done to fix rust spots and to prevent new ones? Is this product worthwhile? http://www.canadiantire.ca/assortments/pro...D=1159138620277

Any help is great. Thanks

Adam

Hey Adam,

I forget where I saw this.... I think Mythbusters..... But they proved that it didn't produce enough negative ions to stop rusting in general. The principal is sound but all the individual steel bits on vehicals are insulated from each other by paint so the protection would never cover anything more than the area its mounted to.

How I wish something like this worked...... we don't need salt on our roads anyway. Between the salt and e-tests they want us buying new vehicals every 4 years... ugh.

My 2c's.

Markus

Darn, I'd hoped it might actually work. Oh well. It is interesting to note though that my buddy's parents Hyundai comes with one stock from the factory and they have a rust warranty for something like 3 or 5 years. On the other hand, I haven't seen many 3 year old cars with much rust, so that warranty is pretty safe from the manufacturer's side.

I guess I'll buy the plastic replacement bumpers instead of the chromed ones. Anyone know how hard it is to replace the bumpers? Any special tools?

Adam

Darn, I'd hoped it might actually work. Oh well. It is interesting to note though that my buddy's parents Hyundai comes with one stock from the factory and they have a rust warranty for something like 3 or 5 years. On the other hand, I haven't seen many 3 year old cars with much rust, so that warranty is pretty safe from the manufacturer's side.

I guess I'll buy the plastic replacement bumpers instead of the chromed ones. Anyone know how hard it is to replace the bumpers? Any special tools?

Adam

It doesn't matter if you get the chrome or black, they are both metal. I actually have the black on my 97 and they are rusting a bit. I may actually bling it up and buy chrome ones to replace them after winter.

Chrome is actually easier to find. Search Ebay for them.

what is it? the link doesn't really link to anything. is it Platinum Shield Corrosion Control Module?... have heard that it actually works.

you need a postal code to get to the page, and then have to click the link a second time...

or...

Counteract Electronic Rust Protection System

0477905_160_CC_5ab61.jpg

* Provides total rust protection for the entire vehicle body, inside and out

* Used by industry professionals in some of the harshest industrial conditions for 20 years (salt harvesting, mining, aviation, snow removal)

* Cost effective (one time purchase)

* Environmentally friendly (chemical-free technology is completely harmless to the driver and vehicle)

Adam

If it's anything like the 99.5 +, it's really easy...

or get Dan to drive your truck offroad, he'll tear it off! (or in my case, hit a Civic! hahaha)

As for your body work, only thing you can do is repair the spots, and once the rust is gone, get your truck rust checked yearly.

i used the postal code in the example and it just took me to the front page or somewhere.. not that specific product.. thanks though.

Yeah, then you had to click the link he posted a second time -- did the same for me.

Has anyone tried the rhino liner that comes in a spray can? My friend told me

about it but I haven't seen nor heard anything about it. I want to sandblast my

rusty tow hitch and spray that stuff on it...

My front bumper was black and it rusted bad. I ended up buying a replacement

for cheap and painted it. It looks nice now - well worth the drying times. But I

do worry about stone chips - it was just auto touch-up spray paint.

My front bumper was black and it rusted bad. I ended up buying a replacement

for cheap and painted it. It looks nice now - well worth the drying times. But I

do worry about stone chips - it was just auto touch-up spray paint.

So you painted a bumper with regular auto paint so it's easy to touch up? I like that idea.

Where did you get the replacement?

www.partstrain.com, $42.95 for the black primed front bumper, 96-99 I think.

I got the end caps there too. And they sell chrome ones.

Yeah, actually, it is easy to touch up. Right after I painted the end caps my cat

knocked one on the floor and put a mark on it. I just took a q-tip and some more

spray paint and it touched up rather nicely.

I've attached a picture of the old bumper...

post-7-1159407568.jpg

Wow, looks like great deals! They don't have any rear sections that I really need, but this is a good start.

Does anyone know how shipping across the border would work as far as customs/duty/taxes? I'd rather not buy a great deal and have UPS rip me off as soon as they hit Canada :(

---Whoa!!---

Don't use the in the can stuff it will turn into a nightmare! I used some roll on/spray on bed liner in the floor of a vehicle to kill noise and a buddy used it inplace of carpet...it just chips up after about 1-1 1/2 years...like cheap oil paint chip chip chip!!

Thanks for the warning, 98silverpathy. I am considering having the tow hitch

sandblasted to get all the rust off, but still don't know what to do next. Could

powdercoat it, but not sure that's worth it, either.