Biggest Tires?(on a stock rim)

Guest Fuchfaccio

Guest Fuchfaccio

Hey fellas, I need to know the largest tire that I can put on my '99 Pathy. I have 30/9.5's now (i think thats the stock size) but I'd like to go up to a 32". I sthis possible? It will be an agressive tread, probably like a Goodyear Wrangler M/T or Mickey Thompson MTZ for example. Thanks, M

With the SE alloy wheels, which are 7" wide, you can fit a 31x10.50R15 with very minimal rubbing. To upsize to a 32" tire, you need an 8" wide wheel with 3.75 or 4" of backspacing so that the tire is moved away from the strut. The factory wheels are not only too narrow, but they also do not have the proper backspacing to allow a 32" tire to fit.

Edited by XPLORx4

Sorry for jumping in, but it is related to this topic, and you guys seem to be very knowlegeable on this site so....

What is the largest tire that can be mounted on the stock steel rims (15 x 6.5) on a 97 xe? the truck is stock, not lifted. I need tires soon, but the budget doesn't allow for new rims at this time. Currently I have the 235/70-15.

Thanks

Sal

Unfortunatly you can't get by with 10.5" wide tires on an XE rim. They've got more backspacing than my SE wheels do and they barely clear. If you haven't looked into it you can get new steel wheels for cheap (about $40 each) or there are always TONS of ads for used wheels if you're willing to go that route. Tire options are really limited on stock, let alone XE wheels.

Thanks for the reply. A few more questions. I've been looking through the posts and have noticed everyone is saying the max backspacing should be 4". It isn't clear however if this applies to both the XE and the SE. If I do upgrade to new wheels, will I need 7 in? 8 in? Will I be able to get 31x 10.5x15 (on new wheels) onto my truck without a lift? (I do plan to add a lift in the future). Unfortunately there aren't any good 4x4 shops that I know of in NYC, so I'm pretty much on my own trying to figure this stuff out.

Thanks

Sal

Thanks for the reply. A few more questions. I've been looking through the posts and have noticed everyone is saying the max backspacing should be 4". It isn't clear however if this applies to both the XE and the SE. If I do upgrade to new wheels, will I need 7 in? 8 in? Will I be able to get 31x 10.5x15 (on new wheels) onto my truck without a lift? (I do plan to add a lift in the future). Unfortunately there aren't any good 4x4 shops that I know of in NYC, so I'm pretty much on my own trying to figure this stuff out.

Thanks

Sal

The most versatile wheel size (for any R50 Pathfinder) is 15x8 with 4" of backspacing. This wheel size will accomodate 31x10.50R15 to 33x12.50R15. It will have the effect of widening the stance ("track") of the vehicle with any tire size, and will allow larger-size tires to clear the strut.

Your 6.5" wide XE wheels will safely accomodate only up to 30x9.5R15. If cost is an issue now, you should be able to get a set of basic steel wheels for around $200 at most local tire stores, and get 31's now. You can always swap out the wheels later without having to replace the tires.

XPLORx4, I see your pics, and really like the rig! Did you have 31's on when you

took the pics?

I have no fender flares like you and I do worry about having the tires stick out

past the wheel wells, for fear of throwing stones onto the paint, legal issues, etc.

and I was curious how far yours extend with 31's and 15" rims w/ 4" b.s. ...