Condensation in Headlight

KevinKernaghan

I noticed the other day that the inside of my left headlamp was getting quite moist. I think this is the beginning of that thing that most cars get where one headlight is brown and the other is clear. So, I suppose, does this indicate that it's time for a new one? Or is there a ventilation hole somewhere that has been clogged/opened?

If it is time for new ones, how much? Do I buy just the bulb or entire bulb/lens assemblies?

Thanks,

Kevin

i got a brand new pair of headlights.. and have had condensation in the pass side headlight ever since... i have hunted high and low, moved stuff and STILL i get condensation :angry: it is clear aws a bell a year on.. but always damp inside except when using headlights. i just live with it now.

i think it has something to do with the coolant bottle.... but who knows.

if it's poopie brown inside... then it may be time for a new one. a pair of headlights is $80-$90 usd on ebay. try some members here.. i've seen lots of lights for sale... i sold 1 for $20.

the other thing you can do is pop the cover n clean it out good and seal the sucker back up.. bulbs are $10 for em. ;)

The reason being that the headlights are forming condensation is because it's not sealing correctly. This happens most likely with aftermarket headlights although I've had good luck with Eagle brand. Anyhow, to fix the problem, remove your headlight and throw it in the oven for a couple of minutes. Quickly pull the glass off from the housing. Clean the interior of the lense, then throw it back in the oven. Pull it back out and seal the glass to the housing pressing firmly. It's hot so wear some gloves! Once it has cooled off, seal the edges with silicone or some type of sealant.

I had the same problem, I pulled the headlight out, set a hairdryer blowing into the hole where the lamp would be for about 10 minutes (until no water is left in the headlight) then get some silicone sealant like whats used in bathroom applications ( got mine at home depot) and put a bead of sealant around the headlight where the glass meets the metal. There is originally a seal there that somehow after time craps out and starts leaking. Did mine about 2 years ago and haven't had a leak since. Hope that helps and good luck

• 2 weeks later...