Tranny Issues

94 Pathy

Ok, I have a quick question....Started my Pathy up this morning and put it into reverse and it stalled. Three times, so the fourth time I put it in reverse and kept the foot on the gas and went on my merry way. The tranny fluid needs to be changed. I was looking in the manual and it states that 9 pints are needed for an auto. tranny. I didn't realize it took that much? If the are 16oz in a pint, that means I need 144 oz. for the job? Seems like a lot!

Info would be appreciated.

Thanks! :aok:

Also, filler up by the dip stick tube? Really don't want to drop the pan again and fill majority of it that way.

Edited by 94 Pathy

I just checked the FSM and it says 9 quarts, or 8.5 litres. You shouldn't need THAT much, as you probably won't be able to drain all the old fluid out of the tranny. Filling throught the dip stick tube is fine. Just pour in a quart, cycle through the gears, and keep an eye on the fluid level. You can also try to figure out how much drains out, and throw in that much to start with.....then add as necessary.

I have a drain plug on the tranny pan. Love it! It's just about done. Still trying to figure out the darn tranny cooler. It says a 1/2 of labor time. I think I'm making it look harder than it really is. I have the hose clamped on the cooler. Figuring out where to mount it. I want it in front of the condensor, but doesn't look like there is enough room. I suppose I'll yank the grille off and get dirty. The diagram shows one hose going to the radiator and another going to the tranny. Did anyone have to use the copper attachment that came with the kit?

Be sure to bypass the stock cooler in the rad when you add your new cooler. If you don't, you're not fixing the issue, as the stock cooler is what clogs up, causing tranny failure.

Let me know where you end up putting the tranny cooler. I'm about to install mine on my 95, I was thinking of going between the condenser and the radiator.

You said = The diagram shows one hose going to the radiator and another going to the tranny. --- the new cooler won't be cooled by coolant form the radiator, it just bypasses it altogether and is cooled by air, but the old hoses(that get bypassed) are coming in and out of the bottem of the radiator....

Also, where is the tranny drain plug?

I was thinking of having jiffylube flush mine....

Once I have some time, I'll get things going and take a few pic's and post. The drain plug is just like the oil pan. It's on the bottom of the tranny. I just filled up with the amount I took out. Things are running alot smoother. P... (knock on wood). A buddy of mine mentioned that it sounds like the torque converter might be going instead of the tranny. It would be much cheaper than a tranny overhaul. Anyone done that yet?

yea, i looked at mine this weekend and either has to go in front of the AC condensor or between the rad and the fan.....mine won't go in between because its sealed and the hoses won't make it through....

I wonder which is best for cooling?

1) in front of the AC it gets more air while moving, but less fan when standing

2) inbetween the fan and rad it gets more fan and less air....

hmmmm ?????