Changing the bulb out on the A/C - Heater control

MatterHorn

is their an easy way to get at the bulb that is behind the A/C - Heater control panel? ... I've had it open in the past and cant seem to figure it out without possibly breaking something ... pics would be cool ... 88 - any input here?

Me too. I know what you mean Matterhorn, it seems like its sealed in plastic. I had the thing completely tore down, and it just wouldn't open. I was thinking about trying to find one in a junkyard to practice on. ;) I need to get in because I switched out all my dash lights to blue bulbs, but couldn't get into the heater/AC lights. Is anyone out there brave to try this?

Hey guys,hopefully I can help,If you have auto temp controls on your ac/heater,there are two diodes, one is in the fan switch the other is in the temp switch.and also there are two bulbs on top of the unit,look for a small door...open it there are two bulbs gray and black,they're dealer items and quite pricey too.I have a pic of the unit hopefully it'll show.

ok ... well I figured it out ... and it isn't that hard ... just be carefull what you pull on!

First Step - remove the Outer facia to the Panel, disconnect the Cigar Lighter, and remove the plate that holds the ash tray in place and pull off all the knobs on the control switches

Second - Remove the A/C swith or the 'blank' if you dont have a/c (see pic) this will give you room enough to get your finger in there

Third - Pull strait out as much as possible and the plate should come right off - it's only snapped on there, so make sure you pull as far towards the center of it as possible (look where my finger is in the pic - and try to pull there)

... continued

post-9-1082699068.jpg

Next you'll be seeing the light refractor that lights it all up - I removed it so I could see what I was looking at, but you wont have to.

look at the picture to see the screws you need to remove to get in there

post-9-1082699495.jpg

now you'll need to "pinch" the the bulb harness from the top and the bottom, and rotate it to disconnect the "cog" that holds it in ... similar to a push and turn bulb for the blinkers.

(see the picture and look where my finger is there, and imagine that you will have to put another finger inbetween there on the TOP part of it - kind of a pain)

once you have it disconnect, pull the harness out through the Ash tray hole, and change the bulb

post-9-1082699779.jpg

amazing response to that question. i almost wish i had to replace mine so i could put those great directions to use. i'm still waiting on denis to find a regulatar fix to my gas guage problem for the 92 xe.