front sway bar

Frank The Tank

It won't hurt anything, but it will make the handling a little sloppier around turns. You just need to adjust to it is all. Truth be told, taking the rear one off is a better idea, it frees up the rear axle to articulate more than it will the front.

I respectfully disagree with this info. Changing out the shocks in the rear for longer shocks will allow the Pathfinder to fully flex with the rear sway bar in place. No sway bar and 4-link = no-no (see DEATH WOBBLE).

I removed my front sway bar a long time ago, because I kept breaking the center mounts. You'll probably want to stiffen up the front end to compensate, or she'll lean heavily into and out of turns, which greatly affects cornering agility.

I've done two things to compensate. First, I had stiff valving installed on my front shocks (but any stiff shock will do). Second, I adjusted the second stage of my 2-stage torsion bars so that I was just sitting on the "stiff" stage. This helps tremendously with body roll around corners.

Obviously, without adjustable shocks and 2-stage torsion bars, you're gonna have a sloppy ride when going any direction but straight. But try it...worst case you can put it back on!

I respectfully disagree with this info. Changing out the shocks in the rear for longer shocks will allow the Pathfinder to fully flex with the rear sway bar in place. No sway bar and 4-link = no-no (see DEATH WOBBLE).

Eli,

I've had both my swaybars off for 2 years, and have had no trouble. The Pathy has a 5-link rear suspension setup that really has no need for a swaybar. The panhard rod acts as just that. Removing the panhard rod, and making it a 4-link suspension, however, would be ugly.

Eli,

The Pathy has a 5-link rear suspension setup that really has no need for a swaybar.  The panhard rod acts as just that.

Eeeh, not really. The panhard rod just locates the axle laterally and helps keep it in place. The swaybar applies pressure on one side or t'other when cornering to keep the body level.

Which reminds me: Anyone have a set of rear sway bar end links laying around you want to get rid of? I want to put the rear sway back in my '88 and the links are missing. Don't need bolts or anything, just the links.