Auto Shifter Options

AssBeard

The leather on my leather-wrapped auto shift knob (with OD button) is coming off. It looks like it was glued on as opposed to actually stitched together. Is this something that the previous owner did, or do the OEM shift knobs have the leather glued on??

Also, what options are available for replacement shifters? I can't find the OEM replacement on Rock Auto or anywhere else.

Thanks.

Can someone PLEASE just look at your auto shifter and tell me if it is actually stitched on or (appears to be) glued on??

My leather has been slowly peeling off and is now flapping in the wind. I need to either glue it back on or find a replacement for it.

Thanks, homies.

So I looked at mine (an 02 so not sure if it will help :shrug: ).

It is 2 pieces, and appears to be stitched except between the big knob and the OD button, so I have to assume it is glued there. But I can not tell if the entire thing is glued on as it is still tight.

Here is the only picture I have showing the shifter:

117_1750_1.jpg

From what I can see, my leather was glued on......I still don't know if that's OEM-style or if the previous owner did a ghetto-self-fix job.

I tried to re-glue the leather back on and just made a big nasty mess so I went ahead and ordered a new leather wrapped knob assembly (including the buttons) from the stealership.....$129.....I actually thought it was going to be hella more expensive so I guess I should be satisfied. I still feel a slight pain in my rectum though... :sniff:

Edited by AssBeard

I am pretty sure they are glued on there. My camaro had a leather wrapped shifter and it was teh size of a baseball and it was stitched in the middle. After a couple of years I could move the leather around. The two pieces were actually stitched together but it was held on to the actual shifter by glue.