Need Info

Hi guys, as you know I have been battling my path to run like a thoroughbred. I have discovered that there are many of my vaccuum lines messed up...yep should have done all the work myself :hide:

If anybody out there can provide information based off of the pic I have posted it would be greatly appreciated.

Inside the coroded piece of metal is a small vacuum solenoid...could you please tell me where your lines run to? I am in need of this info.

I have found that the EGBP soleonoid (backpressure solenoid) was incorrectly vaccumed as well as the EGRBP valve was unhooked from its line all together. This has cause great havock to the engine, hopefully no damage. I say this because the EGR can allow more air into the engine whenever it gets the correct temp and vac (?) so I am guessing this is why the engine is running so lean---likewise after all of this is routed correctly (minus the above), the EGR valve flutters instead of a solid rise and fall unless it is under extreme acceleration....

a new EGR will be here for me on thursday!!!

:secret: psst the dealer was 2nd to the cheapest for this part!! $167 with new gaskets!!

post-7-1156886409.jpg

Hi guys, as you know I have been battling my path to run like a thoroughbred. I have discovered that there are many of my vaccuum lines messed up...yep should have done all the work myself :hide:

So all of your problems post-cam-install have been from disconnected vacuum lines, not from the cams themselves?

The systems changed quite a bit from year to year on the early R50s.

Download the 98 FSM from the Phatg20 site - and it should be identical.

The one I posted was from 1999, the one on Dean's site, I presume, is for a 1997.

Like vengeful said, the vacuum line routing, sensors, etc. varied a lot in the early models. A 96 is way different than a 97. For example, 96's EVAP canister is IN THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT. 97 vacuum line routing is different than 98, and so forth. This was the early days in OBDII compliance.

So, yeah, my service manual is for a 97, so it won't necessarily look like your 98.