Reverse lights out

Mr. Pickles

Got a head scratcher on my 94 with manual tranny. I replaced the old fog lights I had in back that were relayed off the back-up lights after they got smashed on a trail a few weeks ago. Everything still worked, and since the new lights are fog/driving combo lights (2 bulbs per light), I ran new 12 gauge wire from the battery back. I didn't really touch anything at the back-up light's wiring, but now there is no juice coming back, even to the stock bulbs in the tail lights. I'm reading 0.03 volts or so. I ran a jumper from the hot wire to test the new lights and confirm that all is fine there, and pulled all the fuses, most of them twice, to check them. Fine. Traced the wiring to the reverse light switch (I think...) using the %$@#* Haynes manual, but there's a problem there. None of the wiring is the right color, and their notes say it goes up to 93, then 94 on is complicated, take it to a service dept. for any tranny issues. :angry: Anyways, if I'm in the right spot, I'm getting the same 0.03 volts there too.

So, any thoughts? Does anybody know/remember which fuse covers the reverse lights? Tail, I'd imagine, but I don't know. Any other suggestions?

Yeah, that's plan B if I can't figure it out. But I'd prefer to have it working somewhat properly and just come on when in reverse. My driveway gets pretty dark in winter, especially with tinted windows. I used a switch on my old Nissan truck, but I wouldn't want to risk forgetting they're on and drive down the road (I'm 2 blocks from the cop shop). ;) We'll see...

Mr. P, I know your pain. I searched around for my issue for a month a while back....no reverse lights, and the bulbs were fine.

Mine ended up being a dirty connection to the reverse switch on the tranny. Mine's a 5 speed. I unhooked the harness, cleaned it up, sprayed some WD40 in there, and it's been good for over 6 months now.

You can just try to disconnect all the harnesses there, and clean them up......it won't hurt anything to do the ones for the transfer case/4wd light as well....

I'll see if I can find it in the FSM, and I'll post the page, if I do.

I'm there, out of principle. ;) It just struck me that it died when it did, but I didn't touch anything, so I guess/hope its a fluke. I doubt it though. If not, next up is a junkyard reverse light switch. If that doesn't do it, I'll say screw it and go the old manually switched route. That would probably be the most durable bet in the long run anyways.

Edited by Mr. Pickles

it could possibly be the switch. it just went out at the same time you decided to install new lights. thats what happened to my vss. i went through a huge mud puddle, the speedo started acting up. i thought i had seriously messed somethin up. turned out the vss just went out at that exact time.

alex

Haven't messed with it so far, been busy on house projects. Has anybody pulled the switch from the tranny before? Is it just a simple unplug and unscrew? My Haynes manual predictably says nothing. I may just go grab a junkyard one and see if that's it.

Haven't messed with it so far, been busy on house projects. Has anybody pulled the switch from the tranny before? Is it just a simple unplug and unscrew? My Haynes manual predictably says nothing. I may just go grab a junkyard one and see if that's it.

Yep....that's about it. Just unplug the harness, and unscrew. If I remember correctly, it's a b!tch to get at though, as it's mounted high on the tranny.