I wanna see tail light guards

sammyb33

ok, for those of you out there who have them mounted on their trucks, i wanna see some pics of them on there....i just recieved some in a trade, verified the part number, now i mounted them, and they look extremely gay...and wobbily...not like i have seem some mounted....

just wanna see some pics is all...thanks....

-sam

question is... how did you mount them?? if you used the typicaly 3m tape... ditch that idea. you need to use some small sheet metal screws and make them a permanent item if you wish to keep them. If you are in the wilds a lot then you will need em. If you arent', then take the damn things off. Show a pic for some better answers if you can. hth

What are they made off? My dad works at a dealership and they had a H2 there, I checked out the taillights guards and they were solid metal, very sturdy too. They aslo had a jeep, its guards were freakin plastic.

they are the manik guards....tube style...no they are metal...

i wondered about the flat side that hits the body...it looks like the PO of the guards put something on them to either protect the body from scratches, or used the 3M tape...hmm

you need to use some small sheet metal screws and make them a permanent item if you wish to keep them

and put the sheet metal screws in the body i presume?? side towards the outside of the taillight?

yea, i kno they dont actually do much for protection...but....i still like how they look...kind of...

i will get pics up tomorrow...it is gettin to dark to to much good...

but still...we shall see what i end up doing..i looks like it would do best if it hooked into something behind the actual light, and along with the hatch, but that would mean some fab work....hmmmm....

You can see mine here:

backyardflexw.jpg

IIRC 3 screws through the inside of the light and then there is a rubber pad that rests on the body on the side. They work well for brush protection, but I have ripped one off by catching it on a tree. Banged it back into shape and reattachet it no trouble though. I can get better pics if you want/need.

Edit to add they are the Maniks.

Edited by GrimGreg

yea i would like to see it....but...

i am thinking of drilling a hole or two into the little "pad" part, and then putting some sheet metal screws, or just some other finished looking bols there if i figure out i can reach in to the other side to put a locknut or something of that nature on there...

and then i am looking at possibly making a sturdier mounting point besides the inside plastic of the light.....

we shall see...pics to come when i am done....

-sam

[EDIT]

oh and a side view of the guard on the truck would be nice...mine seem to go way way out past the light...(well more than i think it would or should....)

Edited by sammyb33

Got them at a local truck topper shop, "Fun Trails". Paid way too much (got a grill guard also), before I knew better :shrug: . Sold the GG but liked the Tail grills.

I'll get some more pics today. The unbent one's pad sits on the edge of where the light meets the body, the bent one sits just past the edge fully on the body IIRC.

ok see, your maniks are a little different than mine...i will get some pics tonight, but i am planning on beefing up the mount that screws into the plastic on the hatch side, putting thin sheet metal there for a mount.

then on the outside, i dont have a little peg, i have a flat (abot an inch by and inch and half....) and im going to get a nice small bolt to bolt through the body, and be able to put a locknut on there, and get to it through the access panel on each side of the truck....

ill get some pics tonight...

-sam

sorry you think they look 'gay' Sammy :hide:

I'm about 99% sure that the truck came with those (and the brush gaurd I had) from the Nissan dealership. I'm the thrid owner, but the guy who sold it to me said the truck had come with them......

They are obviously not Nissan parts, but I've seen others down here with the exact same gaurds.......Hopefully they work out for ya, so it ends up a fair trade...... :D

Off topic.....does anyone have any of the sunroof cover mounts for the sunroof cover i just got in trade for some brush gaurds.......- the ones that screw into the glass mounts

they arent that gay, its just that they did not seem to fit exactly right. and stuck out kinda far....i was expecting a lower profile guard. no what you sent me woulda looked good in pics... i am just currently modifying them to fit my needs...dont worry im still glad i got some guards...

about what you need, what are you talking about? what part of the sunshade did i forget to send??? or i kno that my local JY has 2 95s with sunroofs, so i could stop by there and get whatever u need....

you didn't forget anything, you probably just didn't noticed that the screw-mounts had cracked (poor design, really).

In the pics you can see the part (removed from the cover) and you can see that the T shaped piece is missing one side. the other mount is missing both pieces of the T.

The other pic shows the cover with the mount removed from its hole.

If you could find two of these that'll be great, but if not, I've seen 'em on eBay or i can probably scrounge 'em.

post-1-1156828116.jpg

ill get um. i didnt even look at it to see if it was broken...it was sitting in my garage for a year....

but im going to the JY to get some parts for my honda, so i can swing by and pick up two of them....i got ya. ill prob have them in the mail by the end of the week...

oh and i deleted everything in my inbox, so i do not have your addy anymore...

• 3 weeks later...

I have tailight covers on my pathfinder and it is very important that the screws stay tight. When they loosen and you close your tailgate you will break the lame plastic housing. Ask me how I know. Use some JB weld to hold the screws in position.

Hope this helps,

-Justin