Trainman

The Drift

There are two kinds of remote control locomotives that I am aware of:

1: used in heavy/long freight trains, usually at the end and/or interspersed throughout the train. These have, in Canada anyway, been referred to as robot locomotives. They are hooked up to the lead locomotive via radio and follow the commands that the engineer gives them. They may be supplying power when the head locomotives are coasting or even braking, depending on the needs of the train. This technology has been used in Western Canada on coal trains since the late 60’s and on most bigger freight trains in NA for 20 years or so. Very popular in hilly areas and on unit trains of one commodity, like coal.

2: remote control switchers, used in railway yards or industrial complexes. No engineer in the locomotive, just a guy on the ground with a joystick controlling the locomotive. Often the loci will have its windows painted over. The ultimate in R/C.

If your trains do not fit into one of these, let me know and I will try to find out. Would need to know railway, general location (state/province is OK) and type of train they are on.

bnsf line in Chicago.......not sure of the use, there is a sign at the crossings about it but I dont remeber what it says word for word sorry;and if I could drive I would take a photo of it for ya to explain it better.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to play with Trains, O, HO N and Marklin...

Do i qualify for this???

2: remote control switchers, used in railway yards or industrial complexes. No engineer in the locomotive, just a guy on the ground with a joystick controlling the locomotive. Often the loci will have its windows painted over. The ultimate in R/C.

They may be supplying power when the head locomotives are coasting or even braking, depending on the needs of the train.

Please explain this... Even with a long train, wy would the front be braking and the middle or back pushing ?? Wait, let me guess, strain on the couplings (or whatever they are called) ? If the front (downhill) is dragging the rear (uphill) somewhere near the middle of the train will be a car/coupling that has 1/2 of the total net weight (tonnage, friction, angle against/with gravity) and that would be the condition that something could let go ? Therefore the front engine brakes to reduce the pull and the rear/middle push... Did I guess right ? Used to wonder as a kid why long trains had engines in the back. (assumed it was so they could go both directions :hide: )

B

Please explain this... Even with a long train, wy would the front be braking and the middle or back pushing ?? Wait, let me guess, strain on the couplings (or whatever they are called) ? If the front (downhill) is dragging the rear (uphill) somewhere near the middle of the train will be a car/coupling that has 1/2 of the total net weight (tonnage, friction, angle against/with gravity) and that would be the condition that something could let go ? Therefore the front engine brakes to reduce the pull and the rear/middle push... Did I guess right ? Used to wonder as a kid why long trains had engines in the back. (assumed it was so they could go both directions  :hide: )

B

We now continue with Trains 101 :D

You have it pretty much bang on, the idea is the keep the entire train in a type of equilibrium. So the part that is going down hill needs to retard its tendency to gain speed as it goes down the hill (hence the braking) while the parts going up hill need to be pushed/pulled to keep up. There are mechanical stress limits to the couplers as well as the cars themselves (500,000 lbs I believe).

welll then. K i have a question. why when a train has multiple locomotives they face some backwards and such. why not all forward?

Just railway preference. Modern diesel locomotives are happy running in either direction so as long as there is one that can lead with its front, all the rest could be pointing the "wrong" way. Essentially, the railways do not have the turning facilities for locomotives now as they did when they had steamers that had to point the right way. Also, turning them around takes time (and money).

Note that some locomotives have their designated front as the “long” end, not many (mostly Norfolk Southern now but even they are changing) so it may appear that the wrong end is leading. You need to look for the small “F” that shows which end is the front.