IS MY PATHY DONE?

kingtux

Hello All,

1st off this is a great site....alot of usefull information.

Ok I have 1992 Pathy SE model auto with 190,200K miles.

On my way home from work yesterday I felt like something pop'd then the pathy just shut itself down.

Weeks before this I started get hestition while driving and thought it was bad spark plugs or plug cables??

Do you guys think that my timing belt pop'd?? If so, how much will it cost to fix this and is it worth getting fixed?

When I turn the ignition I get engine response but it doesn't cut on.

Any info would help.

Thanks

may be a t-belt. If so, you should probably start disassembly rather than crank it. VG30's are an interference engine and you chance damaging your valves and/or pistons. Pull the fan and t-belt cover and inspect it for damage or worse. That should tell you if that was the problem

and... a t-belt is fairly cheap if you're a do-it-yourself kind-of person.

Edited by k9sar

Hey k9sar thanks for your response.

I did try to start it up a couple of times after....How will i be able to know if I have damaged the valves or pistons??

If i have some how-to I could probably do the fix myself, I'll pll the fan and belt cover and see what i got. I'll keep posting.

Hey k9sar thanks for your response.

I did try to start it up a couple of times after....How will i be able to know if I have damaged the valves or pistons??

If i have some how-to I could probably do the fix myself, I'll pll the fan and belt cover and see what i got. I'll keep posting.

if you bent a valve, you'll not have compression etc. Get to your belt and take a look and let us know what you find. Additionally, take a crack at searching on timing belt or other keywords and you'll probably find detailed procs on what's involved (don't know where they are offhand but I've done it myself a couple times)

How will i be able to know if I have damaged the valves or pistons??

If you tried starting it after the pop, ur vavles are screwed. Not trying to be mean but its just the way our motors run, and most imports for that matter. Just pull your timing belt cover and if its broke then youll know.

what are you going to do with it? Rebuild it or what, hell, my motor is about to come out, 2 more bolts dang it

also, the vavles may have bent even before you tried starting it cuzz of the weight of the crank etc still moving

Edited by FLApathy

Well, just got done getting to the T-BELT and its busted including my hands! :(

Well I think I'm gonna let her rest in peace. I don't think its worth putting money in to her if she's not worth anything?? What do you guys think??

The body of the pathy is in good condition....just needs compound and she will shine. At 190K I think I should look for another pathy??

I would love to here your input.

Thanks,

timing belt is under 20 bucks. I'd go ahead and replace it then see if she fires up. You may get lucky and not have any valve damage. If you want to check before starting it, pull your plugs and run a compression test on your cylinders. If the valves don't seat, you won't have compression.

If you do have valve issues and want to tackle pulling the heads and replacing them, I may have parts for you that I can ship for 8 bucks (flat rate boxes are great) Mine's a 95 VG30E. Not sure what the 92 is but prolly the same valves.

worst case, you spend 20 or so bucks and some knuckle-skin and she still won't work. At least then you'll know for sure.

Where are you located?

Up to you in the end really, $500 in parts to fix what you have or sell it to someone who would fix it and buy another one that might break -thnkboutit- If you fix this one, then at least you know how new the parts in it are.

Thanks for the replies...

I'm located in MD Grim.

I'm really not that mechnically inclined and taking on a project that involves replace valves, heads and whatever else may drive me insane :(

What parts do your k9sar??

Thanks

Hi kingtux, where in MD are you located. There are a few of us around that, depending on where you are, might be able to give you a hand. Heads are not hard to do, but it is a little time consuming. Valves I'd leave for a machine shop or those who have more time and a bit more equipment than I do. There is also a slight possiblity that a valve has punch through the top of a piston, in which case, I would find a replacement engine if the rest of the Pathy is in good shape.

ehh...u might not be too screwed...

If you tried starting it after the pop, ur vavles are screwed. Not trying to be mean but its just the way our motors run, and most imports for that matter. Just pull your timing belt cover and if its broke then youll know.

thats not true...i did the same thing...after the cams stop spinning u cant $#&% anything else up...u prob bent some valves...depending on ure speed if ure manual or auto and ure reaction...i broke a belt doing like 55 and hit the clutch as soon as it died and i bent 3 valves...pulled the heads replaced the valves and gaskets put it all back together put it in time and ran like a champ...

if i were u and mechanically incline i would pull the heads if the pistons dont have any cracks or not shattered i'd rebuild the heads and put it back together...and then either sell it or keep on trucking...

with my truck i kept on trucking until i changed the plugs 50k later and something fell in the cylinder and i hammered out a rod bearing (i think but not verified) but i did have a chunk of metal welded to the piston...

if ure anywhere close to charlotte NC i could possibly help u with a rebuild for some gas $ and beer... (just read a lil too far)

***also u could run a compression check on the cylidners before pulling the heads to see how many valves u would possibly have to change...*** if its 4 or more i'd say u got major problems but maybe not (i'd pull and examine the extent of the damage...

mine i put a belt on it put it in time and she ran off of 4 cylinders really really ****** then did a pull each plug individually to find out how many cylinders were dead which was 2 #1 and #3... kill the exhaust in 1 and both in 3

if u can tighten and loosen bolts and remember where u pulled everything and operate a torque wrench while following step by step instructions u should be able to do it...the hardest part is the timing light deal...its a lot of work but much worth it...if ure willing to take the risk if u mess up...

Edited by unccpathfinder