Truck not starting

Pathfinder-jay

Hey guys I have a 93 pathfinder 4dr 4x4 automatic. Today I was driving and I pulled over to get a number from my bag....turned my car off. When i went to go start it again it would turn over.... The lights stay on nice and bright, I even tried boosting it. It seems like theres no connection to the engine for it doesnt even try to turn over....

I checked the oil and all the fluids... all fine

I checked the plugs... all nicely places... no loose wires visable

Any suggestions, urgent!

Thanks

Jason :help: :shrug:

When i went to go start it again it would turn over.... The lights stay on nice and bright, I even tried boosting it. It seems like theres no connection to the engine for it doesnt even try to turn over....

I'm assuming the engine won't turn over... Clarity helps, bro.

Ok, check the battery for voltage first (ohm meter type thing)... It should be 12V+ without load, no less than 11 cranking the engine. Next check the ground cables and connections at the battery and frame (check means clean and conductive). Next check the connections at the starter (clean and conductive) and test with a meter while turning the key. Check the fusible links off the hot terminal of the battery (before and after with the ohm meter).

If everything is good at this point, it is probably the starter (and or selenoid, beat it with a hammer) or a starter relay or fuse (unlikely). If you have power all the way and the starter wont crank, it's the wiring/relays to the starter or the starter its self. This should cover anything you can do on the side of the road other than testing relays or repacing the starter.

B

I say bang on the starter first with a hammer. Then if that does not work check the battery with a ohm meter you might have a dead or weak cell. Same sort of thing happened in one of my work trucks about two weeks ago, everything seemed fine lights bright dash lights radio everything but it would not tturn over it turned out to be a dead cell in the battery. good luck.

Check first (doesn't take long) and bang last (it works often enough for people to do it). Location of everything should be obvious other than the fusible links (which are somewhere upstream of the positive battery terminal, but usually not far) and the starter relay which I believe is under the hood on the passenger side against the side where there are several relays. Check the afore mentioned and try whacking the starter a few times before worrying about wiring niceitys. Those are usually the problem 90% of the time.

B

A much more simple thing...how about the ignition switch...what you put the key into on the steering wheel.

I've replaced two of the things in my '92 and heard they are known to go bad quite often. The symptoms-turn the key and nothing OR turn the key and the car will start but the starter won't turn off. Just a thought in case it's something that simple it'll save ya time and money. The last time everything worked but the car wouldn't start...radio, lights, and all accessories worked.

Edited by NissanPerson

LOL, at least it was an easy fix. I prefer to have things fail outright, none of this intermittent issues crap !! ;)

Just think, if it was a manual, you could have just compression started it... :D

B

This is an issue that has been addressed before, with AT starters just clicking. Here is the fix copied from AC forums.

I have had a few requests on my starter fix that has been working flawlessly for over 18 months. I know a couple others that have done the same thing and have been happy with it as well, so I am posting a quick writeup and little diagram for it. Sorry, I am not much of an artist expecially with paint, but it should get the info across. This fix should also work with the HB's that have an automatic trans also.

I used a common aux light relay that I bought for about $5 at my local autoparts store. I found that there is a connector in the stock switch wiring near the bottom of the battery. The other wire in the connector is for the oil pressure switch so needs to be kept connected. I simply took the starter wires out of the connector and ran them to my relay. The color for the starter wire was black with a pink(or was it purple?)stripe, it is also quite thick. the yellow with blue is the oil pressure wire. I connected the starter wire that goes down to the motor to terminal #87 on the relay. The one that comes out of the harness went to #86. #85 went to ground and I used a 10 ga wire to go from #30 to the positive terminal of the battery. Simple project that cost less than $10 and took about 1/2 hour total to do. Since then, I have not suffered from the dreaded 'click' when I turned the key. The only times it hasen't worked has been when the battery was dead or the alarm has been set off.