Wheel adapter spacers (backspacing/offset)

Having issues getting the aftermarket wheels I wanted. So I'm thinking about wheel adapter spacers in 1", 1.25", or 1.5". Which ones?

Info: Stock 1998 Infiniti QX4 wheels are 16x7 w/ 1.18" (30mm) backspacing. I am going to be using 265/75/16 BFGs with a 2" AC lift. I do not want to take off my stock fender flares. I want to limit trimming.

Thanks!

BTW, here is what I've calculated thus far:

The centerline would be 3.5", so stock backspacing should be 3.75+1.18 = 4.68".

My stock tires 245/70/16 are approx 29.6x9.7"

My new tires 265/75/16 will be approx 31.7x10.6"

So it would seem that my new tires will be 0.5" closer to the strut, so the 1" adapters should be plenty to back it away from the strut?

My biggest concern is that I'll have an equivalent of 3.68" backspacing with the 1" adapters while most people recommend 4" or 3.75". Is that moved too far out?

Ok I hate to admit it, but I am a bit unfamiliar with how backspacing works.

I'm assuming my stock wheels have about zero backspacing (The chrome 6 spoke wheels common on the older R50's) If I have 3 and 3/4 in. backspacing will that mean my wheels will come out 3 and 3/4 in. more than they do now?

Or is it like this

6 in. backspacing on a 15x7 = wheel lip 1 in from hub

3 and 3/4 in. backspacing on a 15x7 = wheel lip 3 1/4in from hub.

Kinda like that?

The Backspacing is the distance from the back edge of the wheel to the mounting face of the wheel.

Offset is the distance from center (in mm). Positive offset is the mounting face is mounted towards the front of the wheel.

The Backspacing is the distance from the back edge of the wheel to the mounting face of the wheel.

Offset is the distance from center (in mm). Positive offset is the mounting face is mounted towards the front of the wheel.

So as an example:

The 15x8" American Racing Baja with 3 1/4" backspacing will have a front lip of about 4 3/4 inch, and a rear lip of 3 1/4" correct? So that essentially should push my wheels/tires out enough to eliminate the rub I get at full lock and aggressify (my own word) my trucks stance substantially?

For a 15x8 wheel, you don't want backspacing to be between 3.75 and 4. Less backspacing will push the wheel too far out of the wheelwell, and you will have big-time rubbing problems on the rear of the front fenders, and potential clearance issues with the rear fenders when the axle is articulated. It will also put more stress on the wheel bearings, suspension and steering components.

More backspacing will pull the tire in toward the truck and cause issues with tire-to-strut clearance and rubbing on the inner wheelwell.

3.25" of backspacing on the AR 15x8 wheel you mentioned is probably too excessive. I would try a wheel with 3.75 or 4". I have 15x8's with 3.75BS, and 32" Goodyear MTR's clear the strut, but rub on rear of the front fender. In fact, I had to remove the front mudflaps completely because of insuffficient clearance. The tires still rub that area under certain conditions, such as braking while the steering wheel is turned.

For a 15x8 wheel, you don't want backspacing to be between 3.75 and 4.

I think he meant that you DO want backspacing to be between 3.75 and 4.

So it seems that a 1" wheel adapter spacer is just going to push it a little further than 3.75 and might cause rubbing. Well, at least on an 8" rim, not sure if the stock 7" rim would be as likely... I personally don't feel like spending the money on spacers just to test, so I'll just wait for my 4"bs wheels to come in before buying my 32s (about 6 week backorder on the wheels I want).

Edited by MichiganAve

OK my techy friends, please tell me how all those components get extra wear from spacing the wheel and tire out further.

I have 1.5" adapter/spacers on my truck

OME lift with about 2" spacer

265/75/16 REVO's

Warn Hubs

I have drawn a pic, stared at the set up, and had the rim off and can't figure the wear. Am I only thinking 2 dimensionally? As I can't picture all the articulation and movement in my head.

Hook me up!? Please

OK my techy friends, please tell me how all those components get extra wear from spacing the wheel and tire out further.

I have 1.5" adapter/spacers on my truck

OME lift with about 2" spacer

265/75/16 REVO's

Warn Hubs

I have drawn a pic, stared at the set up, and had the rim off and can't figure the wear. Am I only thinking 2 dimensionally? As I can't picture all the articulation and movement in my head.

Hook me up!? Please

Where can I find more pics of this set-up of yours??? Do you have any rubbing? Did you require any trimming?

Your profile says .25" spacers, but now you have 1.5" adapter spacers? There is a significant difference between adapters and plain spacers in terms of stress placed on the bolts. The adapters have lugs for stock bolts, then you get a whole new set of bolts to tighten your wheels to. Plain spacers just put a gap between the hub and the wheel, but still are tightening the wheels to the stock bolts, just much further out on them causing increased forces.

Also, what are the specs on your wheels? In the case of adapters, the stress is mostly just from moving the wheel away further from the body, not anything more special. Of course if your wheels have a high backspacing number (ie would be closer to the strut), then you won't be sticking out as far. Being in the 3.75 to 4 total backspacing range may theoretically cause more forces on steering than the stock 4.5 to 5, but there are clearly many people running such a set-up for long periods of time without any problems. I don't know if anybody is running a number less than 3.5 and if that is causing additional wear- I'd be more expecting them to have rubbing on the fenders as the limiting problem!

Howdy -bounce-

Here are some pics of my ride...the spacers are adapters and the are 1.5", with the second set of lugs..same pattern. I will have to do research to see what the backspacing on the wheels are since they are old and I got them used. They are circa 1996 Concept Neeper Synchros (4WD), with Bridgestone AT REVO's 265/75/16...I have rubbing but is is all splash shield, that I have ben too lazy to finish trimming...I would have to say that trimming is somewhere between light and moderate, but not extreme...just sort of brake ducting!! Lol

post-7-1154996941.jpg