tranny went out

88blk4x4

hey ya'll

I was going to put pics of my pathy on here for everyone to see, but the tranny went out...got no reverse...tries to pull forward in N.....how hard is it to replace a auto tranny?? I bought one for parts that I'm thinking about fixing instead, it needs rod bearings.....any advice for a new pathy owner??

Yeah, it's more of a "think around the obstacles" type of task than it is hard work. Mine's waiting for $$ so I can replace fluids, gaskets and install headers at the same time is all, I took out the other one I had in a couple of days easy work. A tranny jack or cradle would be a big help on this one, the trans/t-case combo is HEAVY!

Keying in on this statement....  Is it possible you just have a misadjusted shift lever linkage???

well, I was driving it and it sorta went clunk and it wont shift right if you can get it to go....I drained the fluid and it had ALOT of metal in the bottom of the pan....the trans shop said it probably welded the clutches together.....

Edited by 88blk4x4

well, I was driving it and it sorta went clunk and it wont shift right if you can get it to go....I drained the fluid and it had ALOT of metal in the bottom of the pan....the trans shop said it probably welded the clutches together.....

yup. mine did that too. rebuild time. make sure you add an external tranny cooler and bypass the stock one.. lot's of threads about this in the garage and year specific forums.