Towing a Project Car

NismoSkyZ

Hey, I wanted to buy an rx7 project car so I can put an lt1 engine in it, a procedure commonly done. I found an rx7 with a blown motor, exactly what I am looking for. However, I don't know if my pathy will survive the 2 hour tow from maryland. I was wondering what I need, other than the carier that holds the two front wheels of the car up. I have a manual, so will my clutch burn up? There will be about 2500 to 3000 pounds being towed with the stock hitch I just yanked from the junk yard. Any Help would be awsome! Thanks!

Well personally I think you will be ok but you might be alittle slower than everybody else. Supposedly you can tow up too 5,000 pounds although I would not. Your pathy has a tranny cooler so you should be ok there. I have never been to maryland before so I do not know what the terrain is like. ARe you going to be going up alot of hills? All in all I think you should be fine just take it easy.

As long as you don't ride on the clutch, you should be fine.

I towed a Rabbit on a dual-axle car hauler from Delaware to VA without a problem. I've towed 5000lb dual-axle cargo trailers through the Poconos in PA. It's very slow going, but it's doable.

Make sure that your cooling system is in top shape, and that your suspension and brakes are in good working order.

Also, don't push it. Try to avoid gear shifts as much as possible while under a heavy load (i.e. uphill), downshift before you start the climb and shift up while coasting down a hill. Keep your speeds low (55 or lower), and keep an eye on the temperature gauge.

I made my poor 95 manual pull about 3K worth of uhaul trailor from central Texas to Seattle. If I can make it through the Rockies and Cascades, you'll definatly survive a two hour trip. Just take it slow.

also try and stay out of fifth gear... when towing 4th is a 1:1 ratio, and it is straight thru the tranny box, it allow a lot of unneeded stress to be eliminated in the tranny. (the mechanic that rebuilt my tranny showed me)

Edited by Extreme90path