Resurection

As you all know my Pathy's tranny took a crap on me about a month ago, tore it open this weekend and found out I had sheared a plastic bushing inside completely off, thus forcing the clutch packs to seize

And now I've thought about my options: 1. go out and buy a Jeep Cherokee and be like everyone else on the trails 2. Buy a Full size blazer and shoot myself in the foot every time I fill up the gas or 3. rebuild the Pathfinder, even with the high mileage it has

SO: my question is how much does it run to have the autotragic rebuilt??

or would I be better off buying another used one and swapping 'em out

Let me know before I join the Jeep world........

I couldent tell you for the autotragic, but I had my Manual rebuilt, (my first pathy) and it cost me 1500 dollars... but it worked empecable... but what I think is you should pick up a 91 or below, bucause of the possiblity of the rusting frame problem... so yeah... But heck do what ever you like... I just like pathies... that is why I bought another one... :)

The frustrating part is that the parts to rebuild the tranny are only about $350. Or should I say the parts most places replace. The big cost item is a new converter. It needs to be one with brazed fins. However i have reused converters after they have been flushed. Nissan made a complex tranny thay never really worked all that well. The big problem is heat. They should have come from the factory with a cooler as big as the radiator.

Used trannys are a big risk. You do not know what you are buying. a rebuilt tranny is only as good as the person doing the work and there alot of BAD tranny guys out there. If you can get a total replacement warrenty for 1 year then a rebuilt tranny for about $2000 installed is a good deal. A 90 day warrenty is total crap...I could fix yours over the phone and make it last 90 days after I told you no off road driving.

My recommendation is dependent on teh rust on your Pathy. If there is lots of rust then taking the torsion bars out and all the other supports is a BIG JOB. If your pathy is a pristine purple machine like Slick's pathy then removing all the necessary items is easy. So if rusty let someone esle do the work. If clean buy a cheap $200-$300 used tranny or a JDM tranny and do it yourself. All of these are US dollars not CDN.

Before you do anything....look at the prices for Pathys on Ebay. You may be surprized.

We've got a cherokee we're trying to unloa... err, sell.

My nephew bought it for his son because his son really wanted a "Jeep". After many, many, many problems, now he wants a truck he can drive that doesn't break down every two weeks. He is buying my '87 pathy so he can have reliable, inexpensive, MUCH more comfortable, and fun transport for college. I never liked Jeeps much. After working on this one over and over and seeing the engineering in them, I can NOT understand the whole jeep thing. They are poorly designed turds using antiquated technology. And lots of stupid engineering.

Literally and truly the anti-BMW.

Do a search, and you will see many many stories about the problems with rebuilding automatics. I would NOT pursue that route.

#1 option in my book is to do the 5 speed swap.

#2 is pick up a known funtional factory original auto.

I called the Local JY 's and onl was a able to guarantee one tranny-one with 150,000 on it for $1100 :o - not buying that!

one other JY said they might have a couple of hardbody's on hand they could steal the tranny out of- will that work?

and then I found a rebuild kit for $350 and a buddy of mine who used to work at a toyota dealership (I know I know toyota's and Nissan's are completely different animals, but its better than a VW tech right?) He says he'll do the work for me, and Ill help him out - If i go this way, and put on a B&M cooler would that be the best bet?

And as for looking on Ebay for one- you guys need to realize I live in SOUTH DAKOTA, there isnt a nissan off roader for miles, let alone a decent pathy. so far the closest pathy to me I've found on Ebay was 500 miles away in iowa

:angry:

El P