Installing front springs and struts

I am going to be installing my new front ome coils and kyb struts on my 03 pathy soon is there anything special I should know? I plan on stacking 3 spacers from rocky road to bring the front up to level with the back. I will be using the stock stut caps. I am guessing the best way to go about it would be to compress the front spring with spring compressors and then remove the strut and spring as an assembely. Is it safe to say that I can take the strut nut off at this point and remove the strut? If anyone can help here I would appreciate it. I know I will have to get longer suds to make up for the spacers.

Dang... dude asks for help in the garage and here, and all he gets is the post in the garage moved here and told not to double post. Sorry it took so long to get you an answer.

Hope this helps...

It is not safe to do this without a spring compressor.

I just did this this week to my 98. You do need a strut spring compressor, you can "rent" it from Autozone for 40 bucks. Basically you buy it and then get a full refund when you take it back. Seriously, do not try to cheat or otherwise attempt this without a spring compressor.

Invest in a manual that has the procedure. Its fairly easy to figure out how everything comes apart, but the manual has the torque specs and may help if you get stuck or don't recall how to put it back together.

The strut comes off as an assembled unit. Once it is out, you can use the spring compressor to compress the spring. I compressed it until I was able to rattle it around, then loosen the nut at the top and separate the assembly. Uncompress the old spring, recompress the new spring, reassemble the new spring/strut, and hang it back onto the car. When it goes back in, I found it easiest to hook up the bottom first, and then use a jack to gently raise the lower control arm which pushes the strut up. (This assumes you are safely using jack stands to support the vehicle). As it comes back up, align the 3 bolts with the holes in top and once they are aligned, push them all the way up using the jack, tighten them and then you can lower the jack. I always try to get all of the bolts in and nuts on before I start torquing anything.

Let me know if that answers your question or if you want more info.

• Like 1

I am going to be installing my new front ome coils and kyb struts on my 03 pathy soon is there anything special I should know? I plan on stacking 3 spacers from rocky road to bring the front up to level with the back. I will be using the stock stut caps. I am guessing the best way to go about it would be to compress the front spring with spring compressors and then remove the strut and spring as an assembely. Is it safe to say that I can take the strut nut off at this point and remove the strut? If anyone can help here I would appreciate it. I know I will have to get longer suds to make up for the spacers.

My advice: Unless you're a glutton for punishment, don't do it yourself. Pep Boys will replace your struts for ~$40 each. It'll be a few dollars more if you have them do the springs simultaneously. It will take you at least 2-3 hours per strut, even with air tools. It's a pain in the butt. I've exercised poor judgement twice to replace the springs/struts myself, and I'll never do it again. My time is worth more.

Once thing to note- whenever you disassemble the strut, it's a good idea to replace the strut bearings, too.

See full pics of the strut replacement procedure at this link.

• Like 1

That's about right, took me about 2-3 hours to do mine, and I have air tools and all the cool garage toys to help speed it along (except the 4x4 hub tool :( )

Not sure why it would cost more to do the springs too since they have to be moved over anyhow, ie, shouldn't matter if they reinstall the same spring or a new one. I shouldn't be suprised though.

wow dean your pathy must hate you then. i just put some kybs under my truck a couple of days ago. me and tyler (entrophy98) mananged to get both of our trucks done in less then 2 hours. i was putting new struts on and he was putting spacers on.

as for the rocky road spacers, you dont need to stack 3, 2 is just fine. i have a 1 inch spacer on my truck right now and it sits perfectly level.

Oops, just noticed XPLORx4 said 2-3 hours each, I took 2-3 hours for both. And of that I spent a good hour fighting just one bolt on the driver side, trying to get it out and still save it. Finally decided to sacrifice it and buy a new one... once I did that it came out in about 2 minutes.

There are several advantages, and several disadvantages. It's more of a personal preference thing and depends greatly on your driving style.

I have mine off.

Without a sway bar you get greater articulation in the front suspension, which helps a lot off-road.

You also get more body roll because the sway-bar isn't there to stop the struts from articulating while going through a turn.

Ok guys, thanks for all the help. I have everything I need to do the job,I think? I'm installing the heavy OME front spring with medium in the back. KYB shocks and struts. The spacers I got from Rocky Road are about 3/8 thick,do you still think I only need two to level it out? I just hate to put two under it and then find out I need three. This is one reason I am doing it myself. The other is I have seen what works at my Pepboys,no thanks. Can anyone tell me what the size of the bolts are on the strut? I need to get some to make up for the spacer width when I go back in. I also saw that someone here tacked their bolt heads. I'm guessing that is because they didn't get a press fit and did it to keep them from spinning when you torque the nuts down? I'm trying to find manual hubs before I get started because I don't want to tear up my cv joints. I'm having a hard time finding them for my 03. Anyone have a link? Thanks again for all the help!!!!!!!!!!!! :beer: