Door problem

lgranch

Ok guys and gals I have a problem- My son has a pathy also and since he is in jail for the next 90 days I get to try to fix this. (He was in the wrong place at the wrong time- a lesson for some of you younger forum members but not a cause for this post) The passenger door will not open at all. The inside handle feels like it is disconnected. The outside handle does not feel like it is completely pulling teh opening mech. The pull for the lock feels like it unlocking the door, but I can not be sure. The key does NOT go in the lock from outside at all- it just refuses to go in. The electric door lock does not work and the window does not go down.

Obviously I can not take the inside panel off because the door is shut. Suggestions?????

if you hit the button for the window or locks, does it make noise? Have you lost all electric to that door? That was my first thought. Second thing is to go ahead and pull the arm rest mechanism and work on tryign to get the panel off or at least to a point where you may be able to reach inside and release the latch from the internal mechanism. If you pull the panel on the drivers door, you may also be able to look at the mechanism and determine how to use a home-made slim-jim to get at the latch to pop it open. Good luck.

could you possibly remove the door handle on the inside and see if you could grab the linkage connected to the latch? just a thought

determine how to use a home-made slim-jim to get at the latch to pop it open. Good luck.

i have 1 and i have opened doors on many cars but could never seem to get it to work on the pathy doors

or carefully cut a hole for a 6x9 speaker in the door to give u access then cut one in the other side kindly install some for your son or tell him hes got the holes now its up to him to fill them

bust out the glass and go dukes of hazzard style :laugh:

Edited by unccpathfinder

My '87 had a quirky passenger door lock when I bought it. If you would lock it from the inside, you could only unlock it from the inside. If you locked it from the outside you could only unlock it from the outside. Weird. One day I got mad and locked the and unlocked from the inside as hard as i could about 20 times. It has worked right ever since. I know this doesn't answer your question, but the experience was similar.

Perhaps some forceful persuasion can get it to free up.

My '87 had a quirky passenger door lock when I bought it.

reminds me mine used to not unlock when its cold out so if the passenger hit above the lock on the outside it would unlock from the inside by pulling up on the lock

In my experience, slim jims work better for unlocking, not actuating the door handle mechanism... :shrug: Worth a try but I don't think it will help. You need to get at the door latch linkage. Move the passenger seat forward and try to pull the pannel at the rear of the door. You shouldn't need much room; this may be a flashlight/mirror on a stick and 90 degree needle nose plier operation. Next, find the dingus that actually releases the latch (sorry I don't know the mechanism). Hopefully there is nothing that interferes with the latch bar/rod/lever from moving. Sorry, thats the best I can recommend, but it is the way I would tackle it.

B

See if this helps

The door latch mechanism is the circle at the top. The power door lock is the circle at the bottom

th_door.jpg

This is the power door lock. the rod with the arrow need to go straight up to unlock. With the passenger seat removed you should be able to get your hand in the hole and pull the rod up.

th_lock.jpg

This is mechanism that opens the door. In this photo it is in the down position. (closed)

th_handledown.jpg

In this photo it is in the up position.

(open)

th_handleup.jpg

Hope that helps. Either way your in a tight spot.