Weak Idle & Stalling

Lately, if I stop somewhere and shut my Pathy off after the engine has warmed up, then start it again, it will start, but will idle really weak and rough. If I push the gas, it will bog down and die. If I just let it sit there, the RPM's will slowly decrease until it finally dies. If I give it a few minutes, it will finally start and run just fine. Any ideas?

possible things maybe.....vacuum leak, IAC going bad, EGR, fuel system issue (filter maybe), temperature sensor?? ......doesn't sound like it would be an electrical issue based on your descriptions....(like distributor or spark plugs....)

what year is it?

possible things maybe.....vacuum leak, IAC going bad, EGR, fuel system issue (filter maybe), temperature sensor?? ......doesn't sound like it would be an electrical issue based on your descriptions....(like distributor or spark plugs....)

what year is it?

Thanks for the ideas. It's a 95.

Another possible issue is a leaky injector. I've never had it happen on a Pathy, but on an old Grand Am my dad had it would be hard to start, and run like crap if you shut it off for say 10-30 minutes and tried to start it again. Any longer, it was fine, any shorter, it was fine.

Basically, in less than 10 minutes the leaky injector couldn't flood the engine, in 10-30 it would, and after 30 minutes the pressure in the fuel lines had dissipated enough that it wasn't leaking, and what had leaked out would either flow past the seals, or evaporate.

of course ....is the check engine light on? or has anyone pulled codes from the ECU? I am not that familiar with 95's to be honest. But thats typically one of the first things to check

when things are going wacko under the hood :)

Sounds like what I had starting on mine periodically. I too diagnosed it as the IAC valve, so last Saturday I replaced the IAC valve on the truck and the regulator. To get to the IAC valve you have to take the intake collector off.

Since I already was taking the collector off I went ahead and replaced the EGR valve, which you have to take off to get the collector off, I also replaced the PCV valve and properly cleaned the intake and the intake collector.

The biggest surprise was the air tube assembly under the intake I found was seriously clogged with crap from all these years. It took 3 cans of intake cleaner to get all the crap out of those pipes. I thought my truck ran great before, now it is like I took 100K miles off of it!