SAS...

Dowser

Evening all. As I've looked into the IFS system over the past couple months and spent a good share of money on a bunch of suspension parts, I'm starting to realize the limits of the IFS... Not saying it's terrible in case your a Pro IFS fan but as far as I can see, there just seems to be a hell of a lot of things that can go wrong with these setups. As far as an SAS goes. What kind of options can be done here. Are there limited varieties available to fit WD21 Pathy? I've noticed you can use Dana series, but what about things like an old 2 and Half Ton Rockwell? That being said, are there also things that one might want to limit themselves to for Power reasons? We all know the Pathy are pretty gutless unless you do some real engine overhaul stuff. Just want to hear some info on what's a good all round option and hear your Pro's and Con's for Big Burly Ones.

Dowser

i guess it all depends on how much money you are willing to spend. i see some waggy d44s put on, mostly leafs cause of ease, and a few coil setup datz510 has a early bronco front axle and coil setup that is very nice. never seen any rockwells under pathys yet. as for power, 350s. cause there are so many, can be had cheap and lots and lots of aftermarket. but in the end its money and how much that does the dealing,

Portal axles are HEAVY. Like, over 1000 lbs heavy. Not a good choice if you stick with the stock engine.

A Dana 44 front axle is a good choice because it's relatively lightweight, strong enough to handle the weight of the vehicle and common enough to be able to get cheap parts for.

Thing is, D44's were made in different widths and with different steering, spring setups, brakes, axles...heh. A Wagoneer front axle is a good choice because it's fairly common, the centersection is on the driver's side just like on the stock IFS, and the width is almost the exact same as the IFS setup.

If you're gonna keep youre H233B in the rear, then you pretty much have to go either with the Early Bronco or Jeep Waggy D44. If you're gonna ditch the rear axle, you can go with a high pinion D44 and Ford 9" off a Ford F150 or something. Then gears, lockers etc are cheap. You can mount things either way BTW... Just because the axle rode on leafs doesn't mean you need to keep it on them. You can do coilovers, airbags, coils.. whatever. Anything can be done with the right amount of dough....

Rockwells are big heavy and require huge tires to give you clearance under diffs. Also don't they start with 6-7:1 gear ratios?

• 1 year later...

Here's a guy I met on the trails one day and took some pics of his pathy.

This has the original engine and 5 speed.

DSCF0055.jpg

DSCF0054.jpg

DSCF0052.jpg

Compared to my stock pathy.

DSCF0057.jpg

He was taking it on some crazy trails, and it was very capable of getting thru everything thrown at it.

On Xtreme4x4 last week they put rockwells on their low buck buggy. When they installed them they shaved the housing, since an offroad axle doesn't need the ridiculous amount of oil that the stock bell housings hold and shaving the housing gives you much better clearance.

Hey Dowser!

I don't have the NPORA links on this computer, but there are a few decent threads with the info and links to other sites that supply the info here. Sorry Bud, but do a SEARCH. Seriously, most of what you need is here already.

Ok that said, like 88 said, dana 44 fits the best, is the cheapest and most realistic. Not to mention more than adequate. I believe it is the 1984-1987 jeep wagoneer front axle that fits the best and is most easily converted to the chevy/nissan lug pattern and comes with disk brakes, unlike the early broncos. I plan on going with leaf springs for the simplicity/cost aspect.

CONFIRM EVERYTHING I JUST WROTE!!! I'm sure it's close, as I need to do the same thing or get rid of my Pathy but I'm running on 1 year memory here...

Get back to you later about this.

B