Home made IFS lift?

Pathie4me

In all honesty just sit tight and monitor this board, Nissan4wheelers.com, and nissanoffroad.net for used lift components.

You will need at least different shocks for greater travel. Rear springs (from a Jeep Grand Cherokee or Ford F100), upgraded steering system or at least a custom/aftermarket centerlink and proper a-arms to keep the alignment in check. This should give you 3" of suspension lift. I would really recommend against making your own a-arms unless you have a full fledged machine shop at your disposal. That's pretty much the only component that would require custom fabrication.

Edited by Filthy Luker

Well you can do Jeep Grand Cherokee springs in the rear, those should be REAL cheap from a Junkyard (look in the how to sub forum in the garage for the modifications neccesary to the springs).

You definatly have to buy A-arms, rough country makes the cheapest best quality a arms by far (they are actually rebranded Superlift a arms). To get the a arms call rough country and tell them that you want the a arms from the nissan hardbody lift kit.

Next you can fab your own idler arm brace. 88pathoffroad has done this, but he's not around right now. I'm sure somebody else knows how to make one...

And thats about it, it'll give you around 3 inches of lift. :aok:

The typical 'poor mans lift' includes JGC or Ford springs for the rear, and torsion bars re-indexed and cranked up for the front. After market UCA's are recommended as are stiffer/longer shocks. Next step would probably be an idler arm brace...

The first part is virtually free, and UCA's and shocks can be had for about $300. This alone will make a significant difference, and provide 2-3" of lift. The Garage/How To section will provide the details

While you could fab up an idler arm brace (search will show several versions, all basically the same), I do NOT recommend making your own CA's unless the vehicle is a strict off road trailer queen, both for alignment and safety reasons.

I cant remember the name of the prefered UCA's right now...

B

Warning

The poster absolves him self from all repair bills relating to spilt coffee on key boards, expenses incurred in cleaning computer screens, and any treatment relating to emotional or physical trauma and/or mental health counciling.

IFS can be improved significantly:

WCORsusp2.jpg

Edited by Diesel Boy

Well I found a place that sells Superlift UCA's for 429.00cdn plus shipping and taxes....Hmmmm I guess I am going to be busy next weekend.

Thanks for the info guys...Soon I'll have to change it from weekend warrior to hard core...lol

Also,

You might want to look at buying some replacement spindles for the new UCA's. I was under the impression for some reason that Calmini was going to supply me with some but I was wrong. At any rate, Mine were so brutally Rusted and chunked up, I couldn't even get them out of the old UCA's. We had to Torch Cut them out of the Old UCA's with hopes they didn't get clipped. I was real lucky, but after we got them out and I sand blasted them, I really wish I would have had replacements. Perhaps take a look at how much those would cost at your local Nissan Dealer. Might as well do it right if your doing it the first time. On another note, I'm not sure if Superlift UCA's come with Upper Ball Joints but if they Do or Don't make sure they are not some Cheepies without a Cotter Pin or Grease Fitting like Calmini's. That Pissed me off BIG TIME. Bought Preformance UCA's for a sh!t load of cash and they send me Rag Tag Upper Ball Joints to go with them. Your most likely Going to be changing the Ball joints when you switch over the UCA's so buy a decent Brand Like MOOG cause Ball joints are a costly repair job if your paying someone to do it. Change the Upper and Lower ball joints at the same time when doing the UCA change over. You'll most likely have to pull off the Hub, Brake Caliper and pull the Rotor off almost all the way to get the Lower Ball Joint off and the new one on. And for a final note, make sure when they are Screwing your New UCA's into the Frame mount that they DO NOT, i mean DO NOT!!! cross thread those holes or your in a world of hurt. P... Good luck and let us know what happens.

Dowser

Well I found a place that sells Superlift UCA's for 429.00cdn plus shipping and taxes....Hmmmm I guess I am going to be busy next weekend.

Thanks for the info guys...Soon I'll have to change it from weekend warrior to hard core...lol

Once again call rough country, they sell the exact same UCA's for a heck of a lot cheaper.

http://www.roughcountry.com/Nissan_Hardbody-2in.htm

That's the kit from which you want the UCA's.