96-99 Pathy Overhead Console

I have acquired an overhead console with the digital read out on it...does it tell you inside and outside temp, or just outside??

I know it does N/S/E/W....does anyone know which wires do what? Of course the manual does not tell me anything.

As always any elp is appreciated! ;)

Freaking incredible info XPLORx4!!! :bow:

I will be depicting those diagrams quick as i am crazy anxious to put this baby up there!!! Pezzy..I will totally let you know!!

Thanks yet again XPLORx4!!!!

...and i felt dumb for asking, i would have been dumb for not asking P...P...P...:hide:

....edit.....so if i get this right i could actually tag onto my coolant temp sensor and read the engines eye for the coolant temp??!! hmmmm

Edited by 98silverpathy

I don't think the overhead temp display is programmed (or calibrated) to display the coolant temp range. I think it shows "---" if the temp exceeds 140°F. It's probably better to tap into the A/C ambient temp sensor, which is on the hood latch stay. On the other hand, I don't know if tapping into the sensor has no effect the circuit's resistance, and therefore its response. You might need to use a dedicated sensor.

Yet again you are right...i am attempting to install this today along with indiglo gauges from an 00-01 "X" so i wil post the out come. As if that's not enough to do i am also trying to wire up my heated seats today...i just left the parts store and forgot to get relays for them what a dummy i am!! The stock system according to that Phatty info you sent me shows that just like the headlights all the jucie for the seats runs throught the switch...so i guess to run "low" and "high" i will nee 2 relays for each seat!!! Yikes, i should buy stock in Bosch...that crap is expensive!!!

Alright, the gauges from the 00-01 "X"...no go. Their speedo stops at 110 mph P... ...making the spacing different than ours, also the "peg" used for the needles rest position for the gauges is in a different spot so i would end up with two places that don't light up.............is the saga for gauges over?? No the quest continues!

The overhead console?? :aok: Very hott i am happy and surprised so far ('cause there is a catch) Interesting enough from XPLORx4's personal info (THANKS AGAIN!!!) the Speedo tells the console which direction it is heading...don't know all together how (has to do with the speedo's magnet?)but very cool..schematics say the wire is W/L this means "white with blue" since BL and BK are not just one letter. That took me about 15min to get, but, after that out came the gauges again!!!

***********FROM THE BACK OF THE GAUGE CLUSTER*****************

The white/blue (W/L) wire (top right when facing the back) for the direction

The black (B) wire (center connector) for the ground

The white/black (W/B) for the hot (top left harness when facing the back).

Reason: this is switched and fused power

Temp display has proven tricky, i tried using a $10 Wal-Mart BELL brand accessory temp/clock gauge and just cut the sensor off since it is only a two wire hook up..so far the gauges are displaying a temp that does rise and fall but it is off several degrees (like 60-70F !!!) It does change for the C degrees but its all wrong, my guess is that the new sensor has different resistance values that the Nissan OEM...today for instance it displayed 22F and ICE was lit up!!! :lol: don't i wish!! :lol:

I will call around to try to get this sensor...XPLORx4 any ideas on the name of the sensor?? The web info you sent says "ambient temp. sensor"

HA HA HA HA HA LOL LMAO ROF

The sentence that has the ground described in it has a parentheses and then the letter B which happens to be a smilie!!!

P.S. --->I will post when i get a good dedicated sensor for the console and ps

------> anybody here want to buy un-cut and un-installed "X" gauges?? $9.50 plus much cheaper shipping than i paid!!!

2 comments:

1. The ambient temperature sensor is the same type as the A/C ambient temperature sensor. See attached for info on its electrical properties. If you don't have the A/C ambient temperature sensor, the same type of sensor is also used to measure the air intake temperature. That sensor is mounted on the intake tube located above and behind the left turn signal.

2. The wire that goes to the vehicle speed sensor is not primarily for the compass. It doesn't care about vehicle speed, only that the vehicle is in motion during the calibration procedure. The speed sensor wire is for the temperature display. From Page EL-93:

While the vehicle is being driven, the indicated temperature on the thermometer changes only when the following condition A, B and/or C is met.

A The temperature detected by the ambient sensor is lower than the indicated temperature on the thermometer.

B The difference in temperature detected during a period of 40 seconds is less than 1°C (1.8°F) when vehicle speed has been greater than 24 km/h (15MPH) for more than 100 seconds. In other words, when the temperature rise is too rapid, the indicated temperature will not change.

C The ignition key has been turned to the "OFF" position for more than 4 hours.

Condition B requires the speed sensor connection.

Edited by XPLORx4

• 2 weeks later...

So far I have tried just about everything...I cannot get the temp sensor to get out of the 30-40 deg. range. I used the intake air temp sensor inside the fender to measure the temp and the stupid truck is reporting colder temps....I bought resistors and potentiometers to change it but it is not working...these items only raise resistance so the console shows colder and colder.

what i have come up with is that the sensor is only providing so much reisistance, i need to show the console less resistance (hotter) so that it reports a temp that is more accurate. i do not know what i can use in line to lower this resistance reading as well as not backfeeding the sensor so the truck thinks that it is too hot out.

any ideas out there??

i do not have the ac ambient temp sensor..just the ac switch up front.

• 1 year later...
Guest path1998

Hi, could someone tell me how to put down the overhead console on my PF98? thanks

Edited by path1998

98, ive done this mod already.. are you still having problems? i don tknow if i understood it all but do you have the overhead console update wire connected to the speed sensor wire?

The VSS wire to splice into it white with a blue stripe. When you remove the cluster from the dash, turn the cluster over and the plug on the far right had the wire you are looking for, it's on the bottom row and the 3rd position in from the right.

(doing this all from memory)

as for the wires coming out of the overhead, i think there should be 5 of them. 1 ground 1 power 2 for the temp sensor and 1 for dimmer control. you have to get a stock ambient air temp sensor. check local junkyards. any 96-04 pathy LE or 97-03 Qx4 sensor will work. its located on the center support right in front of the rad. you only need 1 sensor. it should then work correctly. i got my sensor and harness connector for 3 bucks. works just fine. im sure the aftermarket sensors wont work correctly.

feel free to ask any questions.

alright guys i was a little bored tonight. i hooked up my overhead display temp readout to my coolant temp sensor just to see if it would work. the display stopped at 131 for me. after that it just displays "---" like dean said above. so i guess its a no go. that would have been pretty awesome tho if it worked.

ok....i have wanted a temp sensor for sometime, and was just wondering if you guys thought that this could be done on a wd??? i could take out the two dome lights that are currently where the temps guage, and compass would sit, but i just wanna know what the actual unit looks like...if it would fit in the roof and whatnot....

-sam

i dont think it would fit the contour of your roof line. but the actual screen that displays the temp/compass is removable. so you could build your own console or locate the temp/compass screen elseware. maybe under the radio? have some seethrough black plastic and then have the digital screen behind it? i think that would look way cool.

Yo mang,

that 's a different (98) but anyhooo I don't have the temp sensor...I read your response...what does it look like?? I have an ac switch or somthing like that up there but I don't know if I know what the Ambient Temp Sensor looks like...luckily the truck that this came from is still in the JY so I may have a shot at getting the sensor cheap!!

hey sammy, this is what it looks like:

overhead.jpg

98silver, here's a pic:

the angle of this picture is from the top, slightly to the right of the vertical support beam (which lines up with the middle of the radiator)

sensor.jpg

i believe that the two things to the somewhat-left of the picture are temp sensors, it could be the blurry thing at the bottom, but to me, it doesn't look like much of a sensor, but i could be wrong. if someone says that the blurry thing is it, i'll take a clear picture of it so that you can see what it looks like before going to the junkyard

B) Sweet, I have the thing at the bottom of the pic...it is either the AC temp switch or sensor for the AC...it will not read the right resistance to give an accurate temp...nor will the sensor in the intake piping. I have tapped all of these!

I wll be yardin'it tomorrow and will come home with one of these (I hope! :hide: )

Thanks a mil for the pics!!

With resistors, if you wanna drop the resistane in the circuit, you hook them up parallel. So instead of putting your resistor inline, hook it up parallel to the sensor. However, I dunno if that will mess up the sensor, but that's how you bump the resistance of the whole circuit down.

I've actually tried to install the overhead console before. While testing, I put the unit into calibration mode for the compass, and I can't get it out of the mode. I've tried disconnecting and reconnecting the power as well as the driving around in circles for 10 mins, but its still stuck. Any suggestions on reseting the compass?

I've actually tried to install the overhead console before. While testing, I put the unit into calibration mode for the compass, and I can't get it out of the mode. I've tried disconnecting and reconnecting the power as well as the driving around in circles for 10 mins, but its still stuck. Any suggestions on reseting the compass?

hey toast, you've probably seen this since you went into calibration mode. but in case you haven't:

compass1.jpg