eMachineshop.com

jj big shoe

*snicker, snort, cough* Bah humbug. Totally unimpressed ! Jack of all trades, master of none ! Wimpy free CAD ? *blows booger on the floor* I have SolidWorks and AutoCAD !

Actually, it's kinda a cool set up they have; no special equipment but a great diversity. It's nice to be able to get online quotes like that, but I warn you, they'll charge insane prices for 1 offs or 'a few' parts. If there is call for something, better off sending the print to me. I'll have my buddy (owns North Bay Precision Machining) make them, or just use his equipment (maybe hand him a few bucks for the courtesy). Something that warns me about this place is they list 'threading-internal and external' as a capacity !! Then they say this "Notes: Small burrs and some material chips may remain after tapping." *snicker, snort, cough* back to *blows booger on the floor* !! Bunch of hacks if they do that. Check out the free CAD though, better than nothing and can be handy. ;)

Want a Pan Hard Rod drop mount ? Here...

post-1-1122329613.jpg

I agree Vengeful... SolidWorks is the most straight forward, intuitive CAD I have ever used. I drew a part my first day that I never figured out in 3 weeks with AutoCAD. While I never really got the hang of AC (self learner) it is a powerful tool in the hands of a guru !! Oops, I forgot Mechanical Desktop, although it is very AC like... What is it you do that you know CAD so well ?

*snort* show off...

Showing off the skill I have in a trade I have labored in for almost 15 years ? Yeah, then I guess it is showing off, but it weren't easy getting here Bud... ;)

B

yeah, if you know autocad you're all set, but if you don't, all you have is a black screen, a command prompt, and like 100 little buttons. :D mechanical desktop is right up there too but only if you need the extra functionality over autocad... and i think its just called "autocad mechanical" now too. or just inventor ;)

Edited by statikuz

I agree Vengeful... SolidWorks is the most straight forward, intuitive CAD I have ever used. I drew a part my first day that I never figured out in 3 weeks with AutoCAD. While I never really got the hang of AC (self learner) it is a powerful tool in the hands of a guru !! Oops, I forgot Mechanical Desktop, although it is very AC like... What is it you do that you know CAD so well ?

*snort* show off...

Showing off the skill I have in a trade I have labored in for almost 15 years ? Yeah, then I guess it is showing off, but it weren't easy getting here Bud... ;)

B

lol im just messing with you Precise :P

i had solid works till some one broke the CD for it, i never got to use it either. my computer was a tad bit too crappy to run it. i had used autocad for a year but never got to the 3D rendering and wireframes. but for what we run at work i wouldnt need to know it, that is if he ever let me do drawings. they use some corp mod version of autocad called bypart. but its all the same.

No problem BigMike, I took it as the good natured ribbing it was intended as, just replying to you. And yes, I can show off sometimes... :shrug: We all have things we are proud of, whats yours ?? :P Sounds like you work in a shop. What kind, what do you do ? Yeah, a lot of places have a glass ceiling between the 'floor workers' and the drafters, programmers, etc. Kinda sucks, but do what I did. Teach yourself, then break the *itch with a BFH and go on through. If you have a newer computer, it shouldn't be too hard to scare up another CD... ;);)

B

well there nothing as of yet, so far im just trying to make my mark in this world. right now i work in a metal laser cutting shop, only profile cutting mostly 304L, 316L, and A36 carbon steel. sometimes we get different materials, egiloy, aluminum, neoprene and some plastic. the machine is supposed to cut 1" material without problems but that would be hard to see it do that. it has a hard enough time cutting 3/8" 304L. ive been pick up little things here and there. yesterday i watched the so called "laser operator" change the focal position way to much. then watched him struggle to figure out why it was spewing liquid 316 on the top of the plate. i told him what he did wrong but the as usual he didnt think that i was right till he reset the parameters to stock and saw the focal position go from 4.35 mm to 2.4mm stock. right now im waiting on the Pullmax guy to come back and finish the 440 ton brake and teach me how to run it. then i gotta ride the boss for a raise. i can get a new copy of that cd any time, my pops has his connections. hes a machinist too. for the last 10years hes been running CNC machines, making all sorts of crap. lately he has been cutting exotic tough material that i cant remember the name of. apperently hes gotta change tools every two runs. eventualy ill get a new computer and teach my self. but lately i do quality control , clean of the parts and shop, shipping and receving, and any misc job to be done.

Yes dragin, the last pict was not a print, but thats easily done. Let me know if you want a set. I don't need a drop mount, just drew it up as an exercise and to help people here. It would probably be easier and cheaper to make out of welded segments. 88 fabbed up one thats remarkably similiar. Nice to have another machinist on board. :D

just trying to make my mark in this world
]

I think most of are, and its a never ending task... I hear what you are saying about people not listening, even if its just friendly advice; seen it most my life. Sounds like you are learning and have all the help you need through your dad. Good luck with the raise, and keep pushing ! ;)

B