gloer

Any notable tools needed to replace struts/coils and rear springs and shocks?

I used an OEM top hat, not the pictured aftermarket one. I don’t think the aftermarket spacer needs to be welded - you just need to be sure to use it.

• Like 2

On 2/14/2021 at 11:20 PM, RainGoat said:

I used an OEM top hat, not the pictured aftermarket one. I don’t think the aftermarket spacer needs to be welded - you just need to be sure to use it.

I have a 96 SE. I used the KYB top hat. I didn't use the spacer, it wasn't possible to use it and get the strut nut on. I tried. My mechanic friend tried. I was determined to use it based on what I read on other posts and feedback to this one. I checked, double and triple checked, even took the strut off and disassembled/reassembled after running without the spacer for awhile to be sure. I had the struts replaced earlier at a reputable shop, they also used the same KYBs that I put on. They also didn't have the spacer in. 

Maybe the KYBs come without the spacer welded in because in some cases they aren't needed? 

Maybe the KYBs come without the spacer welded in because in some cases they aren't needed? 

It’s addressed in better mechanical detail in other threads but [mention=41986]Zakzackzachary[/mention] documents his failure due to leaving it out in his thread (Post#90). The struts alone have several instances of documented incorrect installation by garages in NPORA - in reviewing the above thread, I note he had trouble with some local shops as well. I’ve been passing along@XPLORx4 strut alignment pic for years now as that’s another common error. I would double check any shop’s work, especially for such a safety essential component.  

• Like 1

I have a 96 SE. I used the KYB top hat. I didn't use the spacer, it wasn't possible to use it and get the strut nut on. I tried. My mechanic friend tried. I was determined to use it based on what I read on other posts and feedback to this one. I checked, double and triple checked, even took the strut off and disassembled/reassembled after running without the spacer for awhile to be sure. I had the struts replaced earlier at a reputable shop, they also used the same KYBs that I put on. They also didn't have the spacer in. 

You might want to get back in there and include that spacer.

Sent from my Pathfinder
  • Like 1

Damn, if both @RainGoat and @R50JR say it is so, it's definitely got to be done. I'm still not sure how they work, but you two are trustworthy sources so will not doubt that it has to be done.

Searching for @zakzackzachary's post to see wtf is going to happen to me, not having much luck so far. If anyone can post a link that would be appreciated, in the meantime will continue to search.

Just go to his build thread - it’s highlighted on post#90 - though there is some foreshadowing earlier in the thread. In fact, he had to try a few shops before he got one that could do it correctly - and it turned out they didn’t either.

I’d recommend anybody take the strut alignment picture from [mention=1343]XPLORx4[/mention] with them to the shop as that error has been documented several times in this forum.

In this small world, [mention=37543]TowndawgR50[/mention] was at my place when [mention=41986]zakzackzachary[/mention] got hold of us. I’ve since actually visited the exact spot of the failure on the WABDR. Do as you see fit, just trying to help & keep everybody safe. One of the best aspects of this forum is everyone’s candid descriptions of their struggles, triumphs & failures. No reason to make the same mistakes twice.

4 minutes ago, RainGoat said:

Just go to his build thread - it’s highlighted on post#90 - though there is some foreshadowing earlier in the thread. In fact, he had to try a few shops before he got one that could do it correctly - and it turned out they didn’t either.

I’d recommend anybody take the strut alignment picture from [mention=1343]XPLORx4[/mention] with them to the shop as that error has been documented several times in this forum.

In this small world, [mention=37543]TowndawgR50[/mention] was at my place when [mention=41986]zakzackzachary[/mention] got hold of us. I’ve since actually visited the exact spot of the failure on the WABDR. Do as you see fit, just trying to help & keep everybody safe. One of the best aspects of this forum is everyone’s candid descriptions of their struggles, triumphs & failures. No reason to make the same mistakes twice.

Thanks, really, I truly appreciate you guys speaking up. Really easy to scroll on by and not care to take the time to help. THANK YOU!!

• Like 1

The struts are coming off for disassembly Saturday. Going to get the spacer in there. If I can't figure out what's going on, I'll be posting with pics asking for advice.

• Like 1