Catalyst For Rusted Bolts?

joshualaw205

So I recently bought new running boards/nerf bars for my 99.5 R50 Pathy, and finally got a chance to assemble them. But when I went to install them today, I noticed that my OEM boards are rusted solid on to the frame of the car. I was wondering if there was a catalyst spray or something that would help free the bolt. Anybody here know any good catalyst sprays or other possible solutions?

When I put my missing link on, I ended up having to spray WD40 every few hours for the first evening, let it sit overnight, then the bolts came off pretty easy the next day (still had to use a breaker bar).

Edited by PathyDude17
  • Like 1

I'd try spraying some Kroil or PB Blaster on them, then repeatedly tap the bolt for a couple minutes,then try.

If that doesn't work, with a hose handy you could try putting a propane torch to them for about 15 seconds and then quenching them. Can repeat a couple of times.

You could also try an impact driver. If you have an air compressor, you can get the driver cheap at Harbor Freight.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Like 5

PB Blaster is extremely useful.  If you plan to do more work on your vehicle in the future, especially stuff like suspension, it may be worth it to invest in an impact.  An air impact will require a pretty decent compressor, but an electric will have some higher cost due to the battery (although you may be able to get one that uses batteries matching tools you already have).

The main issue with an impact is being tempted to force a bolt out without using any penetrating oil (like PB Blaster) and then snapping bolts off, leaving you with an even bigger problem...

Anyways, hope that helps.

• Like 1