Wiring help! Ecu? 87 pathfinder

RCWD21

I've been scratching my brain for the past few days trying to figure out why my dash lights, blinkers, headlights, basically everything that is supposed to work only with the key on, works with the key in the OFF position!

Hook the battery up and everything is right. Cut the key on and then back off and everything still has power too it.

I noticed that the blue wire with a red stripe will cause the "check relay" to click when I back probe it with a test light but when I remove the test light it doesn't click again. It's confused me to the point where I'm almost lost and the FSM isn't helping me at all...

Well today I discovered that if I unplug a certain plug on the ecu that the beeping and the gas gauge and all the power is cut and everything returns to its non powered position.

Could my ecu be bad and cause it where the powe're won't cut off to things? I can cut the key on and off and everything works correctly with this plug unplugged. But if I plug it back in there's constant power to everything.

I hope this made sense if not please say something and I will try to clear it up for you.

Also the ecu doesn't smell burnt or anything like that but it may or may not have gotten wet at some point. I have no idea as I got this thing in non running condition bit it was running before the timing belt broke.

20151230_133817_zpsb92bxaae.jpg

Figured out that something is wrong with my ecu. I took an old (not sure if it's for a z24i or a vg30i and plugged in just the plug that's removed in the pic above and everything works as it should.

So now I have another question since this 3 speed doesn't appear to be computer controlled could i use the ecu from a 5 speed truck?

And also how could I tell if the ecu is from an auto or manual vehicle?

Well that's kind of hard to do for me 5523, there are very few vg30i powered vehicles around here. What's the worst that can happen with putting a 5 speed ecu in an auto vehicle? Would it just not shift or would it fry some wiring?

The fluid in the transmission right now is just as black as used motor oil so I question it's clutch plates. The fluid smells burnt and is probably the original in it.

I may just swap to a 5 speed but am still on the fence about it.

I wish I had another tbi vehicle I could test with just to see if mine is actually bad but I'm 99% sure that there's something wrong in there.

I didn't know the ecu controlled the in cabin power to the lights and such..that's very strange to me..

Again, unless there's something very funny about the three-speed, its control unit is entirely separate from the ECU. I remember reading someone suggest a minor difference in fuel mapping between the auto and five-speed versions, but the FSM doesn't show different wiring diagrams for manual vs auto for the computer, so they should plug in and run well enough. I would be very surprised if it fried something.

I don't think the ECU has control over the lights. I suspect what's going on is that it's got a constant + feed (how it remembers trims and codes with the key off) and a switched + feed (turns on the ignition) and they've somehow bridged together inside the ECU, so power's going from the constant feed into the switched circuit and keeping your other stuff on.

Burned trans fluid is not a good sign.

I've read so much about a 5 speed ecu won't let an auto function correctly but at the same time I can't figure out why a manufacturer would use two drastically different programs. Logically they'd use one part for both designs since you would think it only deals with the engine running and not the transmission.

I'm debating on swapping in a 5 speed since the transmission is already disconnected and half the battle is over with lol.

As for the 3 speed the current fluid is as dark as old used motor oil and it makes me wonder about what's left on the inside. I feel grit in it so I'm sure it's toast.

I'm going to find a manual transmission that is the updated model with the higher fill hole. Luckily transmissions are fairly reasonable and I have an extra transfer case and a pedal assembly and the lines and I think even a slave cylinder.

OK I've made up my mind, I'm going to go with a manual transmission strength and peace of mind.

I'll keep updating this thread with any other bugs and issues I find..

This is going to take me a long time to get done right buy I'll have a pathfinder built to how I want it.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...