camshaft

joluma09

I would have to say that it may be a broken shaft or pulley but then the car must sound like crap in either case and have no power.

thats the weird thing,no weird noise during idle or anything.

how do you know the passenger cam isn't spinning at idle? that is the strangest thing i have ever heard. there would be bad joo joo if that were the case because the pistons are still moving, the only way it wouldn't hit the valves is if all were closed, in that case power / idle would be very different than normal. the only way i can think of it not spinning and not have a ton of clatter is if the follower holder was never torqued down to put pressure on the cam lobes and open the valve. /shrug you got me on this one unless something is going on under the timing cover, in which case, the idle / power would suffer again. so i have no idea. interesting and yet just so very wrong. lol

Pat

• Like 2

So what you're saying is that you either have the valve cover off or you've removed your upper timing belt cover and then discovered this? If it's not actually turning the cam then you either have a sheared cam pulley pin or a broken cam before the first set of lobes on that cam.

Can you possibly take a video of it doing this? I've never heard of a v* engine being able to run "normal" with only one bank producing power. I'd assume if it did run at all that it would struggle and run at a very inconsistent and very low rpm.

Being very familiar with engines I have never heard of anything like this.

I have managed to get a vg30e to idle as low as 250 rpm out of sheer curiosity but that was a flawless engine that had everything maintenance wise done to it all at once.

So what you're saying is that you either have the valve cover off or you've removed your upper timing belt cover and then discovered this? If it's not actually turning the cam then you either have a sheared cam pulley pin or a broken cam before the first set of lobes on that cam.

Can you possibly take a video of it doing this? I've never heard of a v* engine being able to run "normal" with only one bank producing power. I'd assume if it did run at all that it would struggle and run at a very inconsistent and very low rpm.

Being very familiar with engines I have never heard of anything like this.

I have managed to get a vg30e to idle as low as 250 rpm out of sheer curiosity but that was a flawless engine that had everything maintenance wise done to it all at once.

Ya i havent heard anything like it either, it is starting to smell an awful lot like a miscommunication or some simple trolling or something. im not sure our motors would run off of one bank. and if his cam really isn't spinning his valves would be smashed to bits. probably a troll.

I'm thinking he just mis-spoke/mis-identified something. We know if that was the case, it wouldn't run 'normal'.

Joluma, do you have an update? Not putting you on the spot, just want to figure it out...

B

• 3 weeks later...

Update.been super busy and haven't been able to get on here.

just like PRECISE1 said,i spoke to soon and was totally looking at something else.

SORRY FOR WASTING ANYONE'S TIME. Everything is back to normal.

• Like 1