aftermarket rear bumper tire carrier

PINION

looking for an aftermarket rear bumper. Since my pathy never came with swing out rear tire carrier, I have read I cant add one. are there any aftermarket bumpers?

Yeah TAG (tactical armor group, I think it is) makes a couple. Gets pretty spendy with their options. You can also, get a high swing away spare. It's a swing away mount that mounts in the hitch (if the name wasn't obvious about it. Lol)

But those are the only ones I'm aware of.

-Kyle

• 3 weeks later...

There are plans floating around that weld onto the tow bar, it includes plans for two wheels or 1 wheel and jerry cans. Will try find the link, I have the plans saved on my work pc if I don't

My brother in law is a welder and he is fabricating one for me very much like the Tiregate ones with the spare swing out and jerry can holder. This means that the trailer hitch option is the easiest and probably most cost effective. And best of all, you can take it off when you don't need it. So if you are good with metal, or know someone that is, that would probably be the best option.

has anybody tried to use a stock jeep wrangler spare tire holder bolted to the hatch? you lose the access to the rear storage threw the glass but if you reinforced the area with steel inside of the hatch and it cleared the wiper mech i think that would work you might have to move the lugs around to fit but

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-2015-Jeep-Wrangler-Unlimited-JK-OEM-Spare-Tire-Carrier-3rd-Brake-Light-NR-/231313462383?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35db5b546f&vxp=mtr

Edited by thorpe991

Didn't the wiper parts take up most of the rear hatch and sit close to the exterior wall? Doesn't seem too great for adding more stuff in their. Also you'd need to replace the lift pistons to support the weight of the tire.

Edited by lerch641

Not a good idea, besides the issues others have brought up, if you put stronger lift supports on the hatch, the mounts would then need to be strengthened and reinforced, then comes the question of the hinge strength and so on. By the time you're done putting time and money into an unsure project like that, you could have bought or made a tiregate or rear bumper with a carrier.

• Like 1

Not a good idea, besides the issues others have brought up, if you put stronger lift supports on the hatch, the mounts would then need to be strengthened and reinforced, then comes the question of the hinge strength and so on. By the time you're done putting time and money into an unsure project like that, you could have bought or made a tiregate or rear bumper with a carrier.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

-Kyle

• 3 years later...

There are plans floating around that weld onto the tow bar, it includes plans for two wheels or 1 wheel and jerry cans. Will try find the link, I have the plans saved on my work pc if I don't

I once had these saved on my computer but am unable to find them now. They were proper weldment drawings with cut lengths and all necessary fabricating details.

If anyone can link me to them, I'd be eternally grateful.

• Like 1