Fan bearing going out - what can happen?

PerlNinja

Hi folks,

Earlier today (well, for a few days actually) I've been hearing "strange" noises from the engine bay. Strange being defined as anything outside of the normal engine sounds. Couldn't find it but I noticed my fan was wobbling a little. With the engine stopped, you can actually move it around quite a bit, about an inch of play in there. Looks like I'll need a new fan bearing, but I'm kind of concerned now that my fan will disintegrate on me when I'm on my way to the shop...

Possible? Or am I being too paranoid?

Make sure the 4 10mm fan bolts are tight against the fan clutch, and the 4 10mm bolts securing the fan clutch/ pulley to the water pump are also tight. Is the entire unit wobbling including the pulley?

Unless something is loose that's probably what it is. Which, in that case, is highly typical of a water pump failure. I've never seen a Nissan in particular throw a fan through the hood but have many other vehicles from water pump failures.

Its extremely rare but I have seen fan clutches fail to the point where fan blade and clutch unit come off of the shaft usually annihilating the radiator and shroud. Like I said extremely rare. I second the above. Loose bolts, or waterpump most likely.

I have seen very wobbly fan clutches before, Nissans included. It doesn't take too much play to equal an inch at the blade tips with slight force. Obviously check the bolts, but if the fan clutch is loose and the water pump shaft doesn't move, that is what it is. Hard to say if it will hold together without knowing what is loose... :shrug:

B

That is good news so far. How much difflection is there if you move a fin back and forth (at fin tip)?

Without being there, the best bet is to have it changed before it affects the water pump,

B

That is good news so far. How much difflection is there if you move a fin back and forth (at fin tip)?

Without being there, the best bet is to have it changed before it affects the water pump,

B

I second this