Problems with stock radio

csutke

I have a 97 se with the bose 6 disc in dash changer and have been having some problems with it recently. For starters there's times when I go to turn the volume down with the knob and the voline will actually increase, sometimes to the point to where I have to turn the radio off as to not blow my speakers. There's also been a few other times when the opposite happens. There's no rhyme or reason to this and its very annoying. Also my tape deck downtime like to work about half the time. I use it for a cassette adapter for my ipod and phone. And most recently the cd player won't read any discs.

I know the most obvious solution is to replace the radio with an aftermarket deck and call it good but that's not in the budget right now. So has anyone else had these problems and if so what did you do to fix them. If not any ideas?

Also when the tome comes to get a new deck I remember reading about problems with the stock bose system and new decks not working. Am I remembering this correctly? If so what are the problems and how do i either fix them or get around them?

You're probably going to have to deal with it until you get a new head unit, replacements are expensive and the repairs for you problems cost about the same as an average head unit.

All I can think of is to take it apart and clean it out. The volume pot (probably not a real potentiometer) could probably use a shot of contact cleaner, and the rest of it could probably use a shot of compressed air/new oil/hairs and dust cleaned out.

Yeah, with a new deck (on the WDs at least, not sure on R50s) you'll have factory amps to get rid of. I'm running a Sony Xplod head unit and I haven't gotten around to bypassing the amps yet. There's a little hiss, the beeping sound it makes is horrible (luckily it can be switched off), and I can't really turn it up past 10 without making myself deaf. One of these days I'll get round to fixing it.

Or try this:

:lol:

I have a wiring diagram to bypass the shee-ity stock amp if you need it. I used the same stock wires, just added Pioneer speakers & a Sumas (El Cheapo) Double DIN DVD/SD card/CD/USB/bluetooth unit ($140). Sounds pretty good & the 7" screen is motorized & actually quite decent for watching DVD's, music videos, etc. This unit also has a remote control & connections for nav & a back up camera.

• 2 weeks later...

I am the original owner of my 97 se with the Bose single cd unit and have the identical problem as the OP....for a few years now. Fortunately with two young kids and many life demands...my commute time in my Pathy is now my quiet time...so the radio is mostly off and have just lived with it...though would welcome a reasonably economic solution. On several occasions ive had to shut it off for fear of blowing the speakers...

FWIW...i have found that i sometimes get better control if i put slight inward pressure on the volume knob while turning.