2 issues, both "annoyances" more than anything

iPath

First, my belts upon start up are as noisy as can be for ~10-15 seconds. It used to only occur in the extreme cold, but recently it has been happening when we have been having warmer temps. While at the Nissan dealership for a different reason I had them check the belts and they said they appeared to be fine, free of noticeable wear. Within the recent weeks, the belts have started to whine even while I'm sitting at stop lights and other random times, really pretty frustrating. A few nights ago I stopped by advanced auto parts and bought a can of belt spray, it cured the problem upon the first start up but the squeak was back later that day. Is it most likely a tension problem?

Second thing, this is a problem I managed to forget about until my CD player went out and found myself driving in silence a lot more when it is much more noticeable. When giving it gas, there is a buzzing sound that comes from either the engine area or under the middle of the car. The sound only lasts while the giving it gas and does not happen every time I'm accelerating. I know this is about as vague as can be but I thought I might ask in case this is a somewhat common thing. Anyways, thanks for your help guys.

Second thing, this is a problem I managed to forget about until my CD player went out and found myself driving in silence a lot more when it is much more noticeable. When giving it gas, there is a buzzing sound that comes from either the engine area or under the middle of the car. The sound only lasts while the giving it gas and does not happen every time I'm accelerating. I know this is about as vague as can be but I thought I might ask in case this is a somewhat common thing. Anyways, thanks for your help guys.

I had a buzz from under the middle of the car while accelerating, which turned out to be a loose oxygen sensor.

First issue) +1 with not using the belt dressing. I used a cheap bar of soap that worked pretty well but, eventually changed all my drive belts.

Second issue) It is more than likely your exhaust heat sheilds. That sounds like the usual symptoms any way. The next thing you will notice will be hearing a rattle while sitting in a drive-thru or at a red light. It is safe to pull them off (at least I haven't gone up in flames yet!)

• 2 months later...

Ya I have the same rattling issue. It only happens between 1500-1800 RPM and only when in drive, it doesn't do it in park which is kind of strange. I already removed about one foot of my heat shield since it rusted through at the clamps. I would think that if it was the heat shield that it would do it both in drive and park.

Ya I have the same rattling issue. It only happens between 1500-1800 RPM and only when in drive, it doesn't do it in park which is kind of strange. I already removed about one foot of my heat shield since it rusted through at the clamps. I would think that if it was the heat shield that it would do it both in drive and park.

I would say the easiest way to start is to get rid of the heat shields all together. Ive never heard of anything bad happening by doing that. But someone correct me if they disagree.

Edited by erathge

I have the exact same two problems. The heat shield rattles in my 96 like crazy, but since I know what it is I don't care and just let it be. The belts in my '04 squeak like crazy all the time now. I did the same thing with the belt spray, but then just replaced the belts and the problem was gone for awhile, but sure enough it is back.

I would say the easiest way to start is to get rid of the heat shields all together. Ive never heard of anything bad happening by doing that. But someone correct me if they disagree.

I'm probably on my own here, but Nissan, and indeed all auto makers use heat shields for a reason.

They lower under hood temperatures.

They keep the paint on the hood from breaking down and eventually coming off.

They prevent local overheating of the cylinder heads.

They lengthen the life of nearby hoses and wiring.

If they are rattling, stop the rattling.

It makes sense that the rattling would be moreso in drive than park, because the engine is loaded, which changes the harmonics.

1500-1800 RPM makes a lot of sense; that is the RPM range where most V6s of this size have a resonance from their inherent imbalance.

I'm probably on my own here, but Nissan, and indeed all auto makers use heat shields for a reason.

They lower under hood temperatures.

They keep the paint on the hood from breaking down and eventually coming off.

They prevent local overheating of the cylinder heads.

They lengthen the life of nearby hoses and wiring.

Whoa whoa! Im talking about the ones above the exhaust system, under the car.. Not in the engine bay. I have no clue about those ones.. I would not remove those ones

I have the exact same two problems. The heat shield rattles in my 96 like crazy, but since I know what it is I don't care and just let it be. The belts in my '04 squeak like crazy all the time now. I did the same thing with the belt spray, but then just replaced the belts and the problem was gone for awhile, but sure enough it is back.

I had a very annoying belt squeal. Sometimes it would go away, sometimes it was there but quiet, sometimes it was very loud.

In my case it turned out to be a idler pulley.