Exhaust Problems!

evans

tried that

i found out my problem

first of all i should have replaced the catalytic converter

i didn't want to do it because this one passed the inspection and it looked really clean inside

what happened was the catalyst material inside got dislodged and is now bouncing around in there P...

Yeah, the exhaust shop I used had several pieces of cats that had done that.

I got a Magnaflow 2" direct fit, flanged cat through performancepeddler.com. It was $130 with free shipping IIRC, the cheapest I could find. Make sure to call/email for price.

You may be able to get a better price on a slightly different unit as mine had to be Cali CARB legal. :shrug:

B

i just got a universal one for $60, also from magnaflow

i don't live in calicake so mine is cheaper :D

and i didn't get flanges, i already had enough fun dealing with 2 of them

just cut and weld

http://www.amazon.com/MagnaFlow-53004-Universal-Catalytic-Converter/dp/B000COWZRU/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

so good news is i got the stud out without breaking an easy out. but its still making the noise! gaskets are all fine. could it be warped or maybe a crack in the downpipe?

I'm kind of in the same boat as you. I went mudding (claying?) and the clay that shot up covered my exhaust the other day and i had not a single tick. as time consuming as this was i would spray off the clay in sections too pinpoint where exactly the leak was coming from. found that i had a crack in my manifold. i'm sure you could find an easier way than this but i just thought id share it with you since it worked very well for me. not saying go mudding and see what happens but get some sort of clay and cover sections of your exhaust where you think it might be and that will help you pinpoint it.

OH DAMN IT!!!

My old catalytic converter apparently was broken at the inlet, when I took it out a bunch of core material which was trapped at the bottom of the converter came out from the in side. The outlet was clean so I assume nothing traveled into the muffler.

So I got the catalytic converter replaced with a Magnaflow one and here is my setup:

Doug Thorley Short Tube Headers

2.00" Piping

2.00" Magnaflow Catalytic Converter

2.00" Flowmaster 60 Delta Flow muffler

Now I have a big problem, there is a rattling sound whenever I step on the gas pedal in Drive after standing on the brakes at a traffic light. It only happens under load and mostly when the truck is warm. I don't have any heat shields, except on the catalytic converter which is brand new now. The crossover pipe fitting is tack welded and the muffler is welded as well. All I could come up with was the flanges between the 2.00" and 2.25" may not be lining up but then that has a new gasket. The other flange after the midpipe was redone and has a new gasket as well.

Could my crossover pipe be hitting against the frame? Is the muffler underrated for the V6?

I'm going nuts here... :headwall:

Also, the knock sensor hears this banging and detects it as a knock causing my engine to bog down. :thumbsdown:

Edited by Tungsten

Could my crossover pipe be hitting against the frame?

You need to crawl your exhaust, meaning inspect the entire length of it for clearance while examining all hangers and checking all bolts. Use something metalic to bang against it to see if you can make the rattling sound.

Be patient, you are almost there...

B

ill check ASAP but banging on it just makes a hollow sound like banging on an empty pipe which is what it should sound like as theres no debris in it (hopefully all debris was trapped in the old cat) :D

im thinking its the 2.25 to 2.00 flange thats causing all the racket

FOUND IT!!!

I blame Nissan for the stupid ass design. The bended pipe section (where the O2 sensor is) is hitting the frame when the engine shakes. So what now? Can I heat wrap it so when it rubs the impact absorbs?

Edited by Tungsten

ok i need help

the truck runs like @!*%

its bogging down when i hit the gas

when cruising, the rpms bounce up and down

is it because of the timing?

its either the pipe hitting the part of the crossmember and the knocking is triggering the knock sensor or something else is screwing with the ECU which is causing the engine to shake and bang the pipes

looks like im gonna be walking soon :(

Ok, Start back at ground 1.

Check the ECU for codes.

Do you have fuel flow (how old filter?)

Ignition: cap, rotor, wires or plugs??

B

Brand new ignition: cap, rotor, wires, and plugs

ALL FROM DEALER, GENUINE NISSAN PARTS

Fuel filter might be a problem but I only changed that a year ago

I do have clicky fuel injectors but they were like this since I got this truck

Edited by Tungsten

Ok I did the codes again this morning and its coming up with this

34 Knock Sensor.

WTF?! Hopefully the sensor is good, I guess the rattle from the pipe is causing the code.

Here you can see where it may be hitting...

badpiping.jpg

Edited by Tungsten

UPDATE

took a little off the frame as pipe bending did not work too well

so no more cats full of marbles, i cleared the knock sensor code, its not coming back

now there is so much flow in my exhaust that the engine doesn't work right

when it warms up and runs slightly rich its good but when it goes into closed loop oh boy

when starting to accelerate now it doesn't dump enough fuel and almost stalls out the engine

it used to rely on the extra back-pressure to keep it going but not anymore

i guess ill have to see if i can re-program the ECU to make it run right again

so need some serious help here :scratchhead:

i will continue here: http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=24955

Edited by Tungsten