Fully Loaded rig with bad MPG

So this weekend I went camping and had the back seats down fully loaded with the yakima cargo rack up top fully loaded with various camp gear and got 13 mpg. Granted some of that was freeway @ 75mph but most was highway @ 65mph which I wouldn't suspect to get that bad of mileage. What have others got for MPG regarding a similiar situation? I have a 97 XE Automatic for reference.

So this weekend I went camping and had the back seats down fully loaded with the yakima cargo rack up top fully loaded with various camp gear and got 13 mpg. Granted some of that was freeway @ 75mph but most was highway @ 65mph which I wouldn't suspect to get that bad of mileage. What have others got for MPG regarding a similiar situation? I have a 97 XE Automatic for reference.

With the 3.3L, I'm pretty sure that's all you'll get. Especially with a full load and a roof rack. My 3.5L doesn't do much better than 16mpg when I have it loaded up.

With the 3.3L, I'm pretty sure that's all you'll get. Especially with a full load and a roof rack. My 3.5L doesn't do much better than 16mpg when I have it loaded up.

I actually averaged 16.3mpg over a 400 mile trip with ~500 lbs of gear and towing a 3000lbs trailer. that is running alternating tanks of 89 and 93 octane and with the cruise set at 70. This is also with a 5 speed and 4.3 gears

And this surprises you?

And this surprises you?

Actually it did. Usually at 55-60 I get 17-18 mpg so a loss of 4/5mpg is pretty significant. I am trying to figure out if it is the speed or the load causing the dramatic change. Of course it could be a combination of both taking 2mpg each off a normal long distance trip.

3 years ago it didn't matter of course because gas was so cheap but $70 just to make a weekend camping trip starts make you think if you should just stay home and play 18 holes or something else.

$70 just to make a weekend camping trip starts make you think if you should just stay home and play 18 holes or something else.

So you know Jenn the Harlot too (or are we reffering to a different "18 holes")

So you know Jenn the Harlot too (or are we reffering to a different "18 holes")

Awesome, sounds like Jenn is quite a gem. Maybe I'll have to convince my wife of this game when she frowns upon me playing golf.

I also have a 97 XE and when I drive to the rigs (usually 4+ hours away) I am loaded with gear and food etc. I get right around 14 depending on the grade of the road. Like if there are alot of hills then I am screwed. 13 mpg's does not surprise me especially if your heavy with gear and have gear on top causing more drag. Kinda like stacking a brick on top of another brick. Welcome to the 3.3 reality. Low on power crappy on gas. Could be worse, you could be driving a WD-21........

Thanks for the input. It looks like I would need a diesel of some kind to get the MPG I would like with all that gear at those speeds but hell I don't plan on spending another 10k more just to get better gas mileage. Maybe soon we will get some of the Japanese diesel SUV's over here. I was in Costa Rica earlier this year driving a Land Cruiser Prado diesel getting around 20-25mpg will a full load.