engine swap

milehighcowboy

ok so as many of you know i blew my engine or may have or what ever. but i am going to replace the engine. now i want to do as some sugested i should, and put an engine from a 96 and up pathy in to my 92. i have no clue what i should be looking for to buy this engine. do i need just a block? what about conecting it to the tranny? all help is greatly appreciated. i am searching but having little luck. if i find info i will post it up to confirm it with any questions i may have. Slick any thing you have to say on this is a huge asset.

ben

ok 88 i read the whole freaking article. front to back. even the ones digusing the mods not related to engine parts. i gathered that i want a VG33E block. what exactly is intailed in the block? pistons? or what? did slick do a write up of her engine replacement?

To put the 3.3 in, you'd have to swap the crankshaft out of your old engine into the 3.3 block (cause the front end is a squidge different and won't work with your stock accessories) and swap the intake and FI over to it...I forget what else. It wasn't much, though swapping the crank is a big job all by itself.

I think there's more to the 300zx swap than just throwing it in. Easiest way is to just get another Pathy engine, and toss it in. As previously mentioned....do all the maintenance stuff while it's out of the engine bay though.

so there is no way to take a complete 3.3 engine and just drop it in to my truck. no diving into the crankshaft and what not? how hard would it to be to rewire the ECU for the 3.3? (put the ecu from a 3.3 in my truck removing the old 3.0 ECU)

There are very talented people who can do just about anything when it comes to swaping motors. Please understand ANYTHING except a 1990 to 1993 VG30E in your pathy is not straight forward. A 1994 and and a 1995 are simple addtions. These were OBDII motors and teh computers are slightly different, but you can get the motor to run without the O2 sensor working. (1994 motors split between OBDI and OBD II) 1987 to 1989 VG30I motors require parts swapping because if you use the computer from the 1992 there are sensors missing on the motor blocks, but again not too bad and do-able. Past these swaps it take some talent to make thing work right. The ZX is about as hard as the 3.3VGE (1996). Japanese take out motors do not match exactly either and require some fussing.

if you were not so far away I would make you a deal on a 1991 motor that has been bored out for more HP. (brand new rebuild) But shipping makes this a stupid move.

Make sure you understand and are confident in your talent level. Slick is talented on engine swaps. I have done several. 88 is an all around expert. These things can be done, just make sure you do not enter the program with blinders on.

so there is no way to take a complete 3.3 engine and just drop it in to my truck. no diving into the crankshaft and what not? how hard would it to be to rewire the ECU for the 3.3? (put the ecu from a 3.3 in my truck removing the old 3.0 ECU)

In addition to the 3.3 ECU you would also need to gut most of the wiring harness from the 3.3 donor vehicle and splice it in to your 3.0 harness AFAIK.

90-95 VG30E will work. They didn't make ANY changes from 94-95 on the engine, regardless of OBDII specs. OBDII is merely onboard diagnostics, not engine management.

u can also use the vg30 from the 86.5-90 but would have to swap the intakes (and i believe that is all)...i used an 86 maxima vg but it involves swapping oil pick up, oil pan, accessory brackets and relocating dipstick and some other stuff im prob forgetting but nothing really difficult...

once you have found an engine i would try to run a compression check (most junkyards have the ability to do that) i would change valve cover gaskets, cam seals, tbelt, water pump, rear main seal and oil pan seal before even dropping it in if it were me...

ok so i got part way down to the timing belt today. did not do nothing with it and could not get the cover all the way off but from what i could feel the timing belt still has tension and is intact. i am getting a hard knocking noise when i turn the key now. so my next job is the rods. any advice here? this is pretty damn easy thanks for the support guys lol.

ben

90-95 VG30E will work. They didn't make ANY changes from 94-95 on the engine, regardless of OBDII specs. OBDII is merely onboard diagnostics, not engine management.

While that is a correct statement, it does depend on what you swap. The O2 sensors are not the same and not interchangable. They are two different sizes even.