Need help deciding

KILLVOX

no they will not :huh: my buds yj has the ssr's as i think those are by the pic, and they are like stones. they don't wear very fast and suck the left one off road as well. normal tsl's and tsl radials are good off road but wear faster on road. a good alternative if ya got deep pockets are pro comp mt's, good both ways and also my personal favorite wrangler mtr's. i had a couple sets of bfg's and they aren't nearly as good as the couple sets of mtr's i had. the mtr's don't really wear out much faster either and would be my recommended tire for both usages.

I would look seriously at the Dunlop Radial Mud Rovers in that case.

I'm about due for a replacement set, and they've got a touch over 46,000 miles on them. That's pretty damn good for a mud tire, and the Firestone guy who did my alignment was amazed that they lasted that long. About 3,000-3,500 of that is off-road - and I dabble when I wheel...rocks, mud, trails...you name it.

They've held up EXTREMELY well, and they're very durable tires. I've abused the hell out of them and have torn huge chunks out of the sidewalls and they still hold air very well.

One minor thing though is as they start to get worn out, they become nearly impossible to balance, and start to feather.

If I don't go for a set of ATs, I'm definitely going to get another set.

stay away from procomp tires. they have paprer thin side walls. if youre even worried the slightest about fast wear, get away from swampers. im about ready to groove my TSLs. ill tell you what, airing these doen to about 8psi off road almosy makes up for being open in the front. these things are mean in the rocks and trails and pull like a bitch in the mud

nothing wrong with procomps, ran 33x12.50 on a stock comanche for 2 years in solid rocks and they are great, suck in snow and noy the best in mud though. to clarify the swamper part, tsl and tsl radials might wear a little fast but tsl-ssr's don't they are 3 totally different tires with 2 totally different purposes, and as i said a bro runs them on his yj and the majority 65-75 percent of the time it is on road on the highway at 65 mph and he's had them 3 years now. i had a set of tsl radials for 1 year on my 2500 chevy and they wore fast, pretty sure tsl bias ply will too. my yj is 95 percent rocks and has 36-13.5 iroks for the past year and i havent driven more than 500 miles on the road and they look like new yet minus rock rash. but for 75 percent on road can't touch mtr's for all conditions rain, snow, ice, mud, rocks as i ran them on my old rig and that was a 50-50 on and off road deal and i will give them an A+. just my nickel. :unsure:

I've heard very very mixed reviews about the MT/Rs. Some people swear by them - of course, these are the same people that only drive their trucks on the road to get to trails...

The other group is a little larger and these are the people who DD their trucks. The most miles I've seen anyone get out of a set has been ~30k. A friend of mine slashed the sidewall of one on a curb. A sharp, skinny rock jutting into the sidewall of my 2-ply Dunlop didn't break through.

I say that the MT/Rs aren't worth the price you pay for them. If they were the same price as the Dunlops or the Pro-Comps, then yeah, theyd be worth it...but for $50 a tire more? No way.

I've had all 3 mentioned tires (Dunlop MTs, Kumho MTs, and BFG MTs) on different rigs before...if you're looking for that style tire, go with either the Dunlop or the Kumho...almost identical tread to the BFG (except no side biting tread blocks like the BFG has), and a lot cheaper. You won't be disappointed with any of those tires though, whichever you decide to go with. SuperSwampers, don't know...never had 'em...but hear they're excellent off road.

Hey guys, thanks for all the advise. But now i cant decide even more :wacko: Im so confused. It sounds like no matter what tire i choose, i will be ok with. Even the super swampers. And i had a set of master crafts on my Rodeo and the were great. They are alot like the BFGs. Thanks for remindeing me, I think :wacko::P Rock on guys. Have a great week end. :beer:

post-1-1152963138.jpg

I've mentioned this on another recent tire thread, but have any of you considered retread mud tires from this company, High Tec Retreading.

I recently bought a set of 4 31/10.50R15 "OTR Mud" tires from them for my '87 Pathy, they cost $290 delivered to my door. I requested and got all BFG 3 ply sidewall casings (all 4 are Radial All Terrain KO casings). I've driven them a couple thousand miles now, and have no complaints. They do great in mud and dirt, are a little noisy on the road, but way better than Swampers. They are slightly less aggressive than a BFG MT or Goodyear MTR, but are way more aggressive than any all terrain tread. They self clean in the mud just fine.

Retreads have come a long way from the "horror stories" of decades ago. This company was highly recommended by people on other forums, and they recently had an article on them in Jp magazine, May 2006. Check them out!

I've mentioned this on another recent tire thread, but have any of you considered retread mud tires from this company, High Tec Retreading.

Thanks for the input but they dont carry 32x11.5 tires anyway.

My choices now are between the BFGs and the mastercraft coursers. :wacko:

Either one will look good on this wheel -bounce-

post-1-1153303049.jpg

i wouldn't get retreads even if they were free.. they are even harder to ballance then regular muds and they do wear funny.. just don't do it..

This set is my first experience with retreads on a light truck, but I've been around retreads on semi's and other heavy trucks professionally for my whole career. It did not take much weight to balance the 31/10.50's I'm running, actually less than the BFG Mud Terrains I had on my previous Scout.

and they dont do well on the highway

My tires do just fine on the highway, no vibration up to 75 - 80 mph, no significant change in tracking or feel from the 235/75R15 all terrain tires that were replaced, just a bit noisier due to the change in tread design.

Many, if not most, trucking companies, including the delivery haul truck for the company I work for, use retreads with no negative results. The blowouts and tire failures on trucks seen along the interstates are almost exclusively caused by underinflation and the excess heat buildup associated with it. If there were deaths and accidents on the highways that could be directly associated to the retreading process, I'm sure that DOT would be the first to limit their use in the trucking industry.

Everybody is entitled to their opinion, and this is just my 2 cents. In my experience, retreads are a great option, an economically and ecologically sound decision. If my experience with the current set on my Pathy changes my opinion, I'll be the first to let everyone know.