Manual Tranny fluid?

MaSteRmAcK

Hey, I have an 89 Nissan Pathfinder SE 5spd, what type of fluid do I use in the tranny. When I refer to the Chilton, it says API GL-4 and then check a chart for wieghts. The weight that I can use from the chart is a 10W-30 but all the GL-4 that I can find is in the 80W. Someone also told me that I would be find using an ATF but I think that's a little far fetched. I don't want to ruin my tranny by using the wrong fluid. Please help!

Thanks

Sta-Lube makes a GL-4 gear oil. Only one place I know of that carries it and that's NAPA.

Another choice would be Redline synthetic, I think Redline MTL is the one you want. There is MT-90, but I don't think that's equivilent to GL-4 standards.

The ATF is for the transfer case. I just changed mine last night. darn thing was half empty :o

Good Luck,

Aaron

• 7 months later...

Virtually everything I have read, here and elsewhere, is very specific to use only gl-4 NOT gl-5. I've decided to believe a 95% concensus. Every autoparts parts guy (without looking anything up) told me "just use gl-5". I decided NOT to believe them. I asked one of these yokels if that was what he put in his Pathfinder MT ? He said "um, no, I have a Blazer2 automatic..." I said "Piss off then..."

gl-4 is harder to find but it is out there, just call around.

Thats a real good point somethingcool; never thought about that. Besides, then you have 1 less different oil type thing sitting around.

Bernard

I had to get mine for a lubricant dealer here in Calgary.

Call around to see who carries it and then get the bets price.

If there is a local rep in ON I bought mine from Boss Lubricants in Calgary.

I got a 20 litre bucket for about 100 bucks.

Way cheaper then synthetic per litre from the parts stores.

If you can find one that carries it.

Just my .02.

redline carries the gl4 oil in two varieties. Fairly expensive, but how often do you cange your gear oil? Hopefully not every 3 months. YOu can order it online from about a million stores, or most parts jobbers will carry it. Look on redline's website

varieties - weights - whatever. They sell they MTL which works in GL3 & GL4 and the mt90 which works in a gl4.

"RED LINE MTL and MT- 90 are designed to provide excellent protection and improved shiftability for manual transmissions and transaxles. MTL and MT- 90 have cured the problem of hard shifting in numerous transmissions which have notoriously difficult shifting. The secret to their success is two - fold. First, they have the appropriate coefficient of friction for most manual transmission synchronizers. Many gear oils, engine oils, and ATFs are too slippery for proper synchro engagement. Secondly, the viscosity characteristics of MTL and MT - 90 allow proper shifting over the entire temperature range which the transmission will experience. The synthetic base oils used have a very high viscosity index which provides relatively constant viscosity as temperature changes. MTL is a low 75W, almost a 70W, at very low temperatures and a high 80W, nearly an 85W, at elevated temperatures, providing adequate viscosity to prevent wear and deaden gear noise. MT - 90 is a thicker 75W90 version of MTL. The shear stability and oxidation stability of these products are excellent, thus the physical characteristics of Red Line MTL and MT-90 will change little with use.

Red Line MTL is classified as a 75W/80W gear lubricant satisfying the API Service requirements of GL - 3 and GL - 4. MTL also satisfies motor oil viscosities SAE 5W/10W/30, and the viscosity requirements for ATF's. MT - 90 is a 75W90 GL - 4 and also satisfies motor oil viscosities SAE 10W/15W/40. The additive chemistry used is non - corrosive, so even though they will provide GL - 4 performance, they will not corrode synchros or bushings