shocks

cohen

kk. I did a search for shocks on the site and RC was never mentioned but rancho kept coming up......

I was also looking at steering stabilizers:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product...0009321/c-10614

it says "Replacement units reuse factory mounting brackets" so does that mean I need new mounting brackets because this unit isnt a replacement one??

Edited by cohen

No, that means that it is a replacement for a stock SS. If you HAVE one already and need a replacement, that's what you'd get. If you don't have one(most do not), you need a shock AND the new mounting brackets.

The difference between the RC and Rancho shocks is minimal. They both do the same job, unless you're looking at adjustability features like on the Rancho RS9000X's.

RC shocks are made by them for them and used to be called Heckethorns.

Both the RS5000 and RC9000 are verrrry stiff. Some of us call it "harsh" or "uncomfortable" unless you have very heavy wheels/tires.

If you don't like your teeth rattling, consider the RC8000's. They actually allow suspension movement over freeway expansion joints.

Edited by mws

RC shocks are made by them for them and used to be called Heckethorns.

Both the RS5000 and RC9000 are verrrry stiff. Some of us call it "harsh" or "uncomfortable" unless you have very heavy wheels/tires.

If you don't like your teeth rattling, consider the RC8000's. They actually allow suspension movement over freeway expansion joints.

:blink: comfort? but i like my back realigned with my ranchos........ no need for a chriopractor..... :P run max air in yer tires n WOOOOOOOOOOOO yo can have an adjusting good time -bounce-

:blink: comfort? but i like my back realigned with my ranchos........ no need for a chriopractor..... :P run max air in yer tires n WOOOOOOOOOOOO yo can have an adjusting good time -bounce-

You kids... :D

I'm too old for that now. Rancho's are fine shocks (and American made!), but the 5000's are still using the 80's approach to offroad shocks. Make them so stiff they can barely move. If you watch any form of offroad racing, you will see that they are finally learning from the motocross guys:

Stiff is slow, compliant is competitive.

The ideal set up keeps the wheel in control, but allows it to move as freely as possible to stay in contact with the surface. The ideal setup bottoms out (softly) every now and then, and tops out (softly) every now and then. The WP suspension on my KTM is a prime example. It rides as plush as a Cadillac, but it takes humongous bone breaking hits to upset it. 100% in control, but unbelievably comfortable. True, shocks of that caliber cost well in excess of $500, but they are worth it.

I'm hoping the Rough Country/Heckethorns 8000's I'm putting on my '88 prove out to be a good compromise between cost, comfort, and control. I should have the right front rebuilt and together this weekend and will be able to test it out in a couple weeks.

My '87 was running some Sears Roadtamer shocks, and they are amazingly good with the 255/70-16 road tires on alloy 16x8's - very comfortable but always in control. But just a little soft for the heaaaaavy 31x10.5-15 Cooper STT's on steel Rockcrawlers.

pro comp 3000?

I have a set installed. I like them so far... A bit stiff in back if you are unloaded, but nice to have with a load. The front are just the way I like it. Good deal also, I got a 5 unit set for $120.

B

UPDATE: I finally got to drive around with the Rough Country/Heckethorn 8000s on the front, and I LIKE them! Very much!

They keep the heavy 31" STT tires on steel wheels completely in control, but NOT harsh. Comfort and control. PERFECT!

I WILL be adding a set of 8000's to the rear as well.

I give them 2 thumbs up!

PS: the 9000's are quite a bit stiffer for those who like hard rides.

pro comp 3000?

I've got a set on mine and like B said they are a little harsh, but I think the stiffness helps the body roll a bit since I also removed my front swaybar. I'll prolly get adjustables eventually and see if I can find a good compromise setting and soften the ride up some, though.

I've got a set on mine and like B said they are a little harsh, but I think the stiffness helps the body roll a bit since I also removed my front swaybar. I'll prolly get adjustables eventually and see if I can find a good compromise setting and soften the ride up some, though.

What pn did you use?

What pn did you use?

I can't remember. I got them pre-lift from 4wheelparts.com as a package deal with a steering stabilizer and ordered them at stock length. Take a look at 88pathoffroad's member profile for the Rancho # he's using in the rear and cross reference it to the Pro Comp # if you want a longer set. BTW, IIRC there's no need for longer fronts after a lift, just longer rears.