problem with 4wd - front wheels not engaged?

gxl90rx7

I took the pathfinder down a trail and managed to get it stuck. It is on fairly solid ground, but it is in a weird spot where the front of the truck is slightly lower than the rear, and most of the weight it seems is on the front wheels. But the rear wheels spin, but the front wheels dont move at all, as if it isnt in 4wd. Ive tried 4H, 4L same result. It was in 4H when it got stuck.

Any ideas? Ive tried digging it out, rocking, but the rear wheels just arent getting any traction. It seems the front wheels are just dead weight. I was wondering how the front-rear bias works, would it transfer more power to the front wheels if i put the parking brake on? or maybe the hubs just arent locking?

sounds like the hubs arent engaging and i think the autos dont engage till like 2-3 mph or if they're spinning they'll slam into gear...this is the reason i prefer manual lockers b/c u know if its in or not...i'd assume that it has something to do with the hubs

It only takes one hub not working to do what you've described. That one axle will just sit and spin and spin and spin inside the hub without catching, thus negating the other axle and preventing it from getting any power. Better pull 'em off and check the guts...

ohh man i can hear him now on the jeep boards...those pathfinders are junk...

Haha, but his jeep was far from stock.. he had front and rear locking diffs, BFG mud terrains, lifted, etc, so i wasnt too insulted that he didnt have any problems getting traction, lol