How do I get the rear caliper off?

MaximumHP

I'm trying to figure out why my brakes have been squealing lately and trying to get the rear caliper off, but can't figure out how to detach the top of the caliper. There is no bolt, just the pin as shown in the pic. BTW, I think this is the problem since I can barely move the caliper and it doesn't slide in and out like I'm guessing it's suppose to. How do I get this off to remove the caliper?

caliper4ef.jpg

No, there is like a stainless cap on the end. All the manuals I have say "take the two bolts out" that's why I don't know how this pin works.

It's the rear caliper on a 91 if that makes any difference.

Edited by MaximumHP

Not sure, it doesn't want to move along the axis of the pin which is probably the problem. I tried a hammer and it didn't budge. It's starting to rain, so I may have to revisit this problem another day.

Positive. If I could get a better pic I would. It's like a stainless steel cap with a little rubber cap on the end where you might put a grease zerk or something. I tried to get the cap off to see if there was a bolt underneath, but it aint coming off without destroying it. Both sides are exactly the same. Apparently if it came this way stock it's fairly uncommon

you could remove it by removing the two bracket bolts that mount it to the backing plate?? THen buy a new caliper that comes with the bracket (semiloaded). That's how I replaced mine hope it helps

Jamie

mine was the same way, put a strong screwdriver between the bottom of the calliper and the rotor, pry away.....its just stiff and it will ( the bottom) slide up...once you break it loose it will be fine.

Guest pughster

yeah i just finished working on the brakes of my newly purchased 94 se. the rear brakes are the same as you describe, just take out the lower bolt- with the head on it, then i used a hammer to swing the caliper up and off the pads.

• 6 years later...