Question on .5" Ball Joint Spacers

Dave_C

Hey, will the AC .5" ball joint spacers have an affect on positive camber? I've got way too much just by looking at it, but didn't really notice it until I had added the ball joint spacers about a month or so ago. I'd like to take them off, and was wondering if that will fix at least some of the positive camber issues I've got with this thing...thanks in advance.

Also, I tried to take them off a couple of weeks ago, but when I had the ball joint spacer bolts out, and took out the spacer...I couldn't get the stock length OEM ball joint spacer bolts back in because I couldn't get the UCAs to drop down far enough so the bolt would catcht the threads. It kept hitting the bumpstops before I could move them any lower...do I have to adjust the t-bars first lower to get that to work out?

I just use a ratchet strap attached to the LCA and looped over the UCA, once the upper hits the bump stop, the ratchet will pull the lower up.

Thanks! That's a thinking man right there :D I would not have thought of that..good info. I'll try that out this week then...so I'm assuming that these BJS's do contribute (at least partially) to my camber situation being so far outta whack? It's just horrible the way they sit....I don't mind a little bit of positive camber, but it's just ridiculous...so much so that others have started commenting on it :( I planned on taking these off anyways because of the comments from other guys in the local club that they put unnecessary stress on the CVs and steering when flexed...and God knows I don't need any MORE unnecessary stress on those components ;)

Put a jack under the LCA and jack it up. How far are the t-bars cranked?

88, the t-bars are cranked so that the UCAs rest about a 1/4" off the bumpstops...or, maybe a little more...I can fit my pinky in between the bumpstop and the UCA when it's on level ground...I will definitely jack it up under the LCA though...I was jacking it under the front diff before...so I guess that would have made it difficult then -thnkboutit-

I guess I could release some height from the t-bars too, seeing as I'll probably have to fiddle with them anyways to get the height right when the spacers are out....hell, needed another alignment anyways, so no big deal.

Hey, thanks for the tips....I put the jack under each LCA and raised the truck, took off the ball joint spacers and it was MUCH easier :) The positive camber is gone, so that was the problem...never going to use those things again :oops: :furious:

I figured, "had to try" though...and now I know better ;)

Thanks again for the tips on how to get it done easier.