trailer wiring

Cuong Nguyen

hopefully this hasn't been dicussed already :hide:

Anyhow, Would a regular tail light converter be fine for me or should I get a converter with straight wire to the battery to be on the safe side? Could I use a regular converter and up the fuse amp rating? Just curious.

Most the kits the store carries are just the regular tail light converters that tap into the tail lights and depend on the tail light wiring for power. Doing so, you run the risk of shorting out by putting an excessive load from the trailer lights.

I don't think I've heard of any fellow finders having shorting out there stuff from the trailer lights.

as long as you don't plan on running an excessive amount of lights there will be no harm done tapping into your tail lights.

i install hitches and the wiring all day long (done 1 pathy) and 4 boat trailers and a car hauler and they all work fine.

you have to remember.. on 2 of the lights onna trailer actually "do something" the marker lights are just tapped into the ground wires.....

I know on our 04 SE, there is already a dedicated trailer power line running to the fuse box. If you didn't get the trailer option, the fuse holder is empty, but the wiring is still there. I wonder what year they incorporated this.