Stiff external tire carrier

John Boy

I know there was a thread around here somewhere about the stiff hard to open tire carrier but I can't find it. :confused: I've tried everything to free this thing up with no luck. Has anyone had any success freeing up the carrier. :confused: My next option is to remove the whole thing but it works as a great bumper protector.

wd-40 and about two weeks.....I assume your talking bout the hinges cause if you are mine sat for about 5 mo. cause I wasnt able to drive and mine was a bitch to open. I just sprayed the hinges everyday and tried to work it and it eventually loosened it up and now it opens and closes just fine.

those thin lubes are just a temp fix. I would hit it with some PB to loosen it up (work it several times etc) then wipe it clean and smear some Dow 111 on it. That's a good thick silicone grease. Work that into the joints and you'll be good to go for awhile.

I'm not a fan of the spray-on white lithium grease. I much prefer that which has the consistency of mayonaise. Although, the spray may get into the joint better.

The carrier on my Terrano was really stiff when I got it so I hit it with some WD40 and worked back and forth until it loosened up. Knowing WD40 this will on be a temporary fix though. My carrier is away being blasted and powder coated but when it's back I plan to lubricate it better. I'm thinking of heating up a pan of grease or thick oil until it's at a nice low viscosity then dunking the hing end of the carrier into it. Hopefully it'll penetrate right into the joint. I'll let you all know if it works P...

-Ed

Like others have said...PB is a Godsend...I got my carrier off a truck headed for the junk yard, and I'm sure it sat for a while. When I first got it...I had to whack the hell out of the bottom hinge with a rubber mallet just to get it to line up right so I could install it. I PB'd the hell out of the lower hinge for about 3 weeks afterwards (leaving it closed as much as possible, but still opening it after every lube up to get it worked in)...and now it's smooth as goose sh*t ;) About once a week, I hit it with PB just for the hell of it so that I can be sure it's never going to get that way again.

I know there was a thread around here somewhere about the stiff hard to open tire carrier but I can't find it. :confused: I've tried everything to free this thing up with no luck. Has anyone had any success freeing up the carrier. :confused: My next option is to remove the whole thing but it works as a great bumper protector.

There *are* zerk fittings in the hinges. That's the way the factory intended the tire carrier hinges to be lubricated. It worked for me :-)