JGC Coils

CrazzyMax

longer is OK. The problem is that the last coil in the JGC springs tapers into a 3" or so diameter and the pathy needs 4" or so clearance. Option 1 is to cut the 'pigtail' off (see pics from my link) or torch the pigtail and bend it out to the needed diameter.

or of course.. you can get coils that looked like mine (JGC coils) for some reason..

:huh: (but they work awesome!) and yet i seemed to get an awful lotta lift from these..... (3 & 3/4")

Edited by Slick

But that extra lenght, has to be cut off, right, so it fits perfectly??

No, as k9sar pointed out, other than the 'pigtail'. The springs are very close with the outside diameter, coil pitch and coil diameter. The lift comes mainly from the extra length. You generally need to compress the springs to take them out of the seats (unless you undo the shocks, pan hard rod, ebrake line, have a body lift and jack the frame up till the axle leaves the ground), so the taller springs push it up more while retaining basically the same ride (but better IMO).

Slick bought some replacement springs that are HD in my opinion. Not much longer but progressive so they allow less compression. This means a stiffer ride, but ideal for heavy payloads and towing. If you refer to k9sars chart and get the newest (and off the newest vehicle), largest coil spring and bend the pigtail, thats the most lift and smoothest ride you can achieve.

B

The lift comes mainly from the extra length. You generally need to compress the springs to take them out of the seats (unless you undo the shocks, pan hard rod, ebrake line, have a body lift and jack the frame up till the axle leaves the ground), so the taller springs push it up more while retaining basically the same ride (but better IMO).

Slick bought some replacement springs that are HD in my opinion. Not much longer but progressive so they allow less compression. This means a stiffer ride, but ideal for heavy payloads and towing. If you refer to k9sars chart and get the newest (and off the newest vehicle), largest coil spring and bend the pigtail, thats the most lift and smoothest ride you can achieve.

B

Actually B, the lift comes mainly from the fact that the coils have a higher spring rate than Pathy coils. .50(stock) vs .56 or .58 wire diameter. They're not all that much longer.

I've put three or four sets of these in and never had to use a spring compressor until I stuck two rubber spacers on top and beneath mine...

The principle behind progressive rate springs is that the top end with the tighter spacing also has a lower spring rate because of the spacing. That makes for a fairly good on-road ride with the added capability of weight-carrying from the rest of the coils below the tightly-spaced coils on top.