engine light

Guest Tony95XE

Guest Tony95XE

I have had my 95 path for a year and a half now and have had no problems, except when i go on long trips over 4 hours. after that time my engine light will come on and my path seams to get sluggish and jumpy like it wants to stall. So I have to pull over and let it sit and "cool" down. then it seams fine for a while. Anyone have any idea what the cause of this could be???

I had a similar problem with my previous PF but it was alot quicker than 4 hours. It turned out to be the fuel filter. I now change it whenever I think it's hinting at any slight problem the fuel. :confused: This might be or might not be the problem, but I hope this helps. And it only costs a few bucks to find out. Good luck.

Have you checked your ECU code for the reason the engine light came on? Even though it goes off, I believe it retains the last code that it detected. I had a fuel injector leak that would cause my engine light to come on for awhile. It wouldn't affect performance though, so I doubt that is your problem.

Yeh check your ECU it will give you a code and then you can also look up what the code is with the number it gives you. There is a write up in here about it. Very helpful. But kinda sounds like a distributor problem with sputtering and loss of power, that is common with pathfinders, but hearing thats its only on long trips makes me think not. Im still working out my idle problem with my Pathfinder, but hopefully me and my buddy solved it tonight. Knock on wood, we'll see tomorrow for the test drive. But if you need parts I have plenty of spare good used parts for cheap for pathfinders as I have tried everything to try and fix mine. They are all tested and work fine with no problems But just check out your ECU it s probably a really eay fix.

Guest Tony95XE

Thanks, I will have to try to check it then, I read the post about checking it but mine doesnt have the switch on the side it has the slotted knob on it and last time i tried to do it I got myself confused and somehow made my engine light pop on all the time lol, but i got it back to normal somehow. Does anyone know the right way to do this type, the post mosly is for the type with the switch???

Guest Tony95XE

Well in the post about the ecu the directions for the 6 cylinder has the switch and in the directions for the 4 it has the slot. I have two 95 pathfinders, an XE and an SE and they are both 6 cylinder and both have the slot type. Im confused :shrug: