Headers?

rennwerkes

Folks, sounds like I've got a possible problem with my exhaust manifold because I've got a definite ticking sound when the car is cold.

Now from what I understand most folks with this problem change the stock manifold over to a header. Most seem to prefer Thorley.

My questions are these:

What benefits does a Thorley header offer on a 3.0? Does it really make that much of a difference?

Should I change out all studs and nuts with factory items?

Should I use a factory exhaust gasket?

TIA!!! :D

ok. YES.. thorleys make a difference... a very noticeable one on my pathy with 2.5" pipe, a high flow cat and a single flowmaster 50 series. i love it. (got a K & N too)

i got my thorleys from summit for $338 (chrome nickle plated and they're turned nicely blue now after a year).... an perma cool oil filter relocation kit (ya wanna get one... really) and i got factory studs and after a year they're still perfect (the dude at nissan had no clue wtf i was talking about with the 300z studs) and a whole lot cheaper.

with the new studs you will want new nuts n washers too.. see below for part numbers and explanations/additions sly

thorleys @ summit PN: DTE-464-2 **i have a '92 5 speed pathy**

perma cool OFRK @ summit PN: PRM 10695

factory studs from Nissan: 14065-V5004 **or you can get the non turbo 300z studs.. they cost a bit more but are supposed to be stronger

factory washers @ Nissan: 14037-V5005

factory nuts @ Nissan: 14039-W1500

umm... i just woke up so maybe there's more... oh yeah. i used the gaskets supplied by doug thorley, and had no problems for the year they were on my pathy (then i pulled the motor... again) but some complain they blow out so grab some felpro gaskets for them ;)

**also! if you have an auto..... the thorleys will still fit, i am sure someone who has done the thorley to auto install will pipe up* :beer:

Edited by Slick

**also! if you have an auto..... the thorleys will still fit, i am sure someone who has done the thorley to auto install will pipe up* :beer:

Yup, and that's where I come in. I installed the thorleys on my pathy and it was all a direct bolt up, no problem what so ever. the egr tubing to the header was a little hard to bend, so i had a shop cut and put in a longer piece of tubing to fit in with out bending. The results: Well I was extremely happy with the out come. I got better throtle response, I guess you can say I got more ft/lbs and hp, since it is noticeable, and I can even hear the exhaust gases pass thru the headers. It's awesome. i would really recommend this mod for any pathfinder owner. As far as the recommendation from thorley about not installing on lifted vehicles, I saw no problem or anything to obstruct the install and may pathy is t-bar cranked and jgc on the rear.

Thanks for all the kind advice.

Have a few follow up questions:

1. Am I doing any damage by leaving the exhaust the way it is for a few months? Have a few other things I'd like to do first, like my shocks.

2. Should I expect hp/ft/lb gains using only the header? I'd prefer to leave the rest of the exhaust system stock.

Thanks again!

Thanks for all the kind advice.

Have a few follow up questions:

1. Am I doing any damage by leaving the exhaust the way it is for a few months? Have a few other things I'd like to do first, like my shocks.

2. Should I expect hp/ft/lb gains using only the header? I'd prefer to leave the rest of the exhaust system stock.

Thanks again!

you will stillg ain some HP from just the headers.. but bein as they will flow mucho better than stock... so eventually you should upgrade to 2.5" pipe and high flow cat and muffler... you will get even more gusto, as well as an extremely nice sounding pathy. sly

no.. you are not doing any major harm as it is.. i drove my pathy over a year with the studs broke...... but the longer you go... the more will break......

Hey Slick, thanks for all the good advice!

I'll post my experience once I've done the job.

Mahalo again from Hawaii!!!

no worries. just remember.. pathys like to breathe and fart....... aka: exhaust and air intake are their 2 "hot spots" for improvement ;) and e fans.. sly hopefully my next mod... well... it's about 4th on the list :angry:

Hmm I wonder how Thorleys and straightpipe would sound....

try having a straight pipe onna pathy...... or do you mean basically running open headers? open headers.... LOUD. deafening LOUD. :hide:

Okay, I'm going to be a bit lazy here and just ask:

1. What have folks been doing to improve breathing on the front end.

2. What's the deal with the electric fans? Seems like the stock fan does the job.

thanks again!

is the ticking right under the shifter area...i have a leak where y comes down from the pass side and is leaking directly under the firewall somewhere not quite sure i think a flange bolt broke off but really havent inspected it...

my 87 had a broken stud and leaked from the time i bought it (6 years ago) but after i replaced broken studs with grade 8 studs from napa and they didnt break over 2 years b4 i broke the motor but the manifold was warped and still leaked ...

and my 95 has had the leak since i've owned it i really need to take care of these things but i never seem to make it to the exhaust leaks just everything else

try having a straight pipe onna pathy...... or do you mean basically running open headers? open headers.... LOUD. deafening LOUD.

how about open manifolds? if i can ever get that stupid starter to work or replace it thats how im going to test the 87 motor b4 ripping it out for the 95 swap...if it works i'll let ya know how loud it is

how about open manifolds? if i can ever get that stupid starter to work or replace it thats how im going to test the 87 motor b4 ripping it out for the 95 swap...if it works i'll let ya know how loud it is

not advisable at ALL on the open manifolds. at wrost run open headers....

Okay, I'm going to be a bit lazy here and just ask:

2. What's the deal with the electric fans?  Seems like the stock fan does the job.

thanks again!

1. most folks get the thorleys or pacesetter headers, (they allow for much better "flow" compared to the crappy stock badly designed manifolds.. at the same time cures the broken stud issue)run open cone or K & N air filters, and run 2.5" pipe throughout with HIG FLOW catalytic converters and a good name brand muffler.

2. e fans are quieter and from what i've read can actually improve gas mileage

Edited by Slick

Yeah! Ticking sounds like it's coming from shifter area.

Sorry, but what does this mean?

means possibly you blew a collector gasket, or your pipe is rotted through somewhere... your o2 sensor is down by your left hip while driving too.....

I ran my pathy with the exhaust cut off 3" after the O2 sensor. stock manifolds. that lasted all of a day. it was LOUD.

If I was looking for loud I would probly dump the exhaust alittle bit before the rear axle. where the stock muffler would be. but I would still probly put a flowmaster on the end. after the day of no exhauste, I ran around for a bit with 3.5' of 2.5" pipe after the y pipe.I wasnt as bad because the sound was from behind you, but eh flowmaster 40 took alot of the "high" notes out. made it sound much nicer.

I ran my pathy with the exhaust cut off 3" after the O2 sensor. stock manifolds. that lasted all of a day. it was LOUD.

If I was looking for loud I would probly dump the exhaust alittle bit before the rear axle. where the stock muffler would be. but I would still probly put a flowmaster on the end. after the day of no exhauste, I ran around for a bit with 3.5' of 2.5" pipe after the y pipe.I wasnt as bad because the sound was from behind you, but eh flowmaster 40 took alot of the "high" notes out. made it sound much nicer.

here's how i did mine and although at 65 you can "hear" it.. it is not obnoxiously loud or irritating..... and it hasn't been off road damaged...... yet.... ;)

ViewofNewExhaust.jpg

dumps out just past the tire..... bout 12" from the bumper.. smog legal too....

2.5" pipe, HF cat and flowmaster 50 series. -bounce-

Edited by Slick

1. most folks get the thorleys or pacesetter headers, (they allow for much better "flow" compared to the crappy stock badly designed manifolds.. at the same time cures the broken stud issue)run open cone or K & N air filters, and run 2.5" pipe throughout with HIGH FLOW catalytic converters and a good name brand muffler.

Um, headers/cat/muffler would be the "fart" end, eh Slick?... ;)

Just a newbie repeating gathered info here renn, but on the intake side the options seem to include:

-ghetto airbox mods of misc flavors, usu. at least removing the resonator tube (runs along the top of the radiator from the elbow-thingy on front of airbox)

-misc drop-in filter upgrades

-clean the MAF (and your filter natch)

-K&N adapter or similar for cone filters like Slick said, might do that soon

-snorkels for those water-crossing folks

-injector cleaner fuel additive (frequency?)

I'm know I'm forgetting more.

Wanted to show my good newbie spirit by trying to cover some basic answers I've seen in other threads...

...and maybe P... on Slick a little. :takebow:

Just the jealousy talkin'...

:hide:

Thanks for the info on the intake stuff.

Not really into "show", more interested in stuff that'll actually do something.

I'll try installing a new filter and cleaning out the MAF.

By the way, CRC is making a cleaner specifically for MAF now.

I've always used an injector cleaner in all my cars. You shouldn't have to do it too often but I'd suggest two or three bottles if you've never done it before and the car has high mileage. After that, maybe once or twice every 3-5k.

Techron, the bottle that actually says "Techron" is probably one of the better additives. I also like German additives like Lubromoly Ventil Sauber and Jectron. Not cheap but good quality stuff.

:blink: never heard of that stuff.

i use lucas fuel treatment every other full fill up and i clean my MAF with 90% alcohol and a q tip.. works nicely..lol :)

Heh, just messin' w/ one of the resident experts Slick (like I said, jealous).

Hey I did give ya a credit... :bow: :beer:

Renn, thanks for the advice on the injector additive. Gotta look up that German stuff.

Edited by christhisguy

Yup, the German stuff is good but give your car a shot of two of Techron. While the amounts Chevron put in their gasoline is miniscule the additve from the bottle really does the job.

I'd use the German additives more as a maintenance thing.