Flooded the Pathy...need HELP!

sigtauenus

My subdivision got flooded today (Virginia Beach, VA), and I left my sedan at the entrance after work while a neighbor drove me to the house in his truck. He said this has happened before, although its been 4-5 years, and that it'll probably recede by tonight.

So, I went out in the Pathfinder to see how bad it still was (10:30 ish) since I have to leave for work around 6, and need to call a buddy if I won't make it through. Needless to say, I didn't.

A guy in front of me stopped to check on a stranded guy in the middle of the road, and thus blocked me, so I had to stop too. That's what got me. Until that point my wake was keeping the exhaust pipe clear, once I stopped I got choked out and stalled.

The pathfinder is dry and towed back to the house, but it still won't start. When the exhaust pipe was in water it wouldn't even attempt to turn over. Now it attempts to turn over but doesn't do much besides that. When it stalled out, could the back pressure from the exhaust have been dramatic enough to knock it out of time?

Did I screw it up, or is it as simple as waiting for it to dry out, do I need to unplug the battery to reset anything? I highly doubt insurance will cover anything so I might be screwed if I need to buy a new engine.

Please help!!

Thanks in advance, any and all advice appreciated.

Sam

The air filter was wet and the starter does turn.

So now you will have to take out the air filter and Maff sensor

Pathy should turn over now. It will take awhile. You will also have to clear the error codes. I know about this as on our last outing we went wheeling and we swamped the pathy. This is what I had to do.

Well, just went out to check it again before I got the last post and it is definitely turning over and tried to fire. I don't have a code reader. Can I unplug the battery to reset the codes?

No that won't reset the codes. I tried many times.

Take the air filter out and unplug the maff sensor or take it right out to dry. Hopefully the drying out will work if you keep trying I know you will have to replace it. The sensors are $700cad my dealer gave me $200 off.

You guys rock!!

Ok, it did take 4-5 tries, each time it turned over more, fired and missed, and then finally fired up. So now I have it where it will start and run, but the air filter is out and the maf is unplugged, and when I try to rev it up it seems weak.

I already have a ride to work tomorrow, and will get a new air filter on the way home. So now I just need to find out if the maf is good or not.

If I let it dry out a couple days, and can actually drive it, I think I should be able to take it to Autozone and use their code reader right in the parking lot. I'm going to guess that there is a code for a failed maf, and if I reset all the codes and the code for the maf pops up again, that it needs replaced? Is that a correct assessment?

Thanks again for all the help. I wasn't going to get any sleep tonight with worrying about buying a new engine. You guys got it solved for me in what, 30 mintues?

Again, you rock, thanks for the help. I'll followup with what I find out once its running good again in case this happens to anybody else.

and it shouldnt really have anything to do with the exhaust. remember that the pipe bends over the axle, and even with 235's on, the exhaust pipe is still much higher then 20". the water may have gone into the end of the pipe, but I doubt it got over the rear axle.

I got my 97 pathy in water SO deep that it was over my seats, park rangers stood by saying "theres no way that things going to start" as a guy in a white F250 chained onto me, I got in, turned the key, engine started... the air intake was about 1/4th an inch above the water. These pathys will take ALOT of damage... except that I had tried rocking it and ruined my transmission. $1800 to rebuild.

When I opened the hood to check the filter I was suprised to see how much water was in there. So, I guess it wasn't the exhaust after all, more likely the wake I mentioned was throwing water up into the engine compartment that snuffed the engine from the intake side?

Change your oil as soon as possible, if your intake was wet you probably sucked a little water into the engine and when you tried to start it you might have forced any water sitting in an open cylinder past the rings into the crankcase.

You guys rock!!

Ok, it did take 4-5 tries, each time it turned over more, fired and missed, and then finally fired up. So now I have it where it will start and run, but the air filter is out and the maf is unplugged, and when I try to rev it up it seems weak.

I already have a ride to work tomorrow, and will get a new air filter on the way home. So now I just need to find out if the maf is good or not.

If I let it dry out a couple days, and can actually drive it, I think I should be able to take it to Autozone and use their code reader right in the parking lot. I'm going to guess that there is a code for a failed maf, and if I reset all the codes and the code for the maf pops up again, that it needs replaced? Is that a correct assessment?

Thanks again for all the help. I wasn't going to get any sleep tonight with worrying about buying a new engine. You guys got it solved for me in what, 30 mintues?

Again, you rock, thanks for the help. I'll followup with what I find out once its running good again in case this happens to anybody else.

Ok now that you have taken the air filter out and unplugged the maff. Your pathy is now in limp mode it will run but I believe at 3000rpm it will sputter whether your idling or driving, until you get a new maf.

Well all is you have to do to see if your maf is good is plug it back in and watch your pathy die. After you clear the codes. Then all the fault codes will come up again.

You might want to take your air box out and clean all the water out of it as well.

:beer:

So, to clarify, I need to clear out the codes before I attempt to reconnect the maf? ie, if I connect it now before clearing the codes it still won't run right?

Thanks.

Right, your chances are better if you clear the codes. Plus after you clear the codes plug it back in and see if your pathy dies. If so you will need a new maf sensor.

:beer:

Ok guys, its done.

I cleaned out the air cleaner box, put in a new filter, and drove it without the maf to autozone to get the codes cleared. Guy came out, hooked up the code reader, cleared the code, I put the maf back in, started the car, and it ran fine. Took all of about 90 seconds in the autozone parking lot. Could only get it up to about 2200 rpm driving over there though, and when I turned on the a/c it stalled it out.

I'll check the engine oil this afternoon and change it. Its due for an oil change anyhow...

Thanks again for all the help, definitely wouldn't have got this fixed without you.